April 30, 2008

The "angry black man"

This Jeremiah Wright business has annoyed me to no end. Mary sent me this blog that places Wright in the Jonah tradition and it is a thoughtful explanation that keeps Wright understandable within the black church experience.

But last night, against my better judgement, I watched Newt Gingrich on the Daily Show. What a moron. And when discussing Wright and Obama, he said exactly what some of my conservative friends have also suggested--that Wright's hateful rhetoric and Obama's friendship with him for 20 years means that we "really don't know what Obama believes."

Right. Of course, John McCain sought out the idiot moron Hagee and then renounced (line-item renouncing, as I said the other day) bits that he didn't like while maintaining the idiot moron's endorsement. Imagine if Obama did that? And still no conservative will suggest that McCain's acceptance of Parsley ("kill all the Muslims") or Hagee ("Catholic church is a whore and God drowned NOLA to get the gays") raises any question about what McCain actually believes or stands for.

Why?

I am starting to believe it is the specter of racism. One of the very positive outcomes of the Civil Rights movement was the marginalization of open racism. The Klan and their counterparts were pushed further to the margins of society and membership in those horrible groups appropriately shamed.

So now, with a prominent black man running for President, open racism is really off the table. Conservatives who are troubled by his race can't say that directly, but have to find another way to criticize him. The funniest was that Obama is an elitist, which struck me as incredibly funny in the context of American race relations. Easier, I think to suggest that he is a closet Muslim, though I hope that is relegated to the most uniformed.

But then comes Jeremiah Wright and a good way out. Hard to criticize Obama when he is so damn smart, articulate, thoughtful, etc. But when you have an "angry black man" behind him, all of a sudden, a useful tool. After all, even conservatives believe that race relations in this country have sucked--how could Obama not be angry? But being angry is the worst thing a black man can be. Can't acknowledge that anger or you become dangerous. John McCain can embrace his anger. That is "passion" in a white politician. But Obama cannot.

And when he refuses to be angry, people just impose Jeremiah Wright in his place. Voila--one angry black man and an excuse not to vote for him. But one that allows them to claim it has nothing to do with Obama's skin color.

Sigh.

3 comments:

Bootleg Blogger said...

Streak- I'm with you on the annoyance factor. My favorite (not) is the "news" segment I saw that was a discussion of whether or not the media should move off of the Wright story, i.e. the media discussing themselves again.

I have to say, though, that Wright himself is very problematic in my opinion. I like the article you linked - I can see a good analogy there. If it is at least somewhat accurate then maybe there's some hope he'll get over it and let the campaign progress without him. Regardless of the reason, I'm afraid serious damage has been done that time will not allow to be corrected. The preaching methods in many Black church traditions are totally unfamiliar to many Americans. What is fine from the pulpit on Sunday morning looks bizarre at a press conference. Add in the ego and possible person affront felt as a result of Obama's distancing himself from Wright, and you may have that thing we've all been worrying would eventually raise it's head. You know, the "thing" that will result in the Dems or at least the Obama campaign running off the rails. These shots are going to be seen over and over for as long as Obama is in the race. The candidate and his credentials haven't changed at all, but his pastor may have given his opponents the sound bytes and, even worse, video bytes that they needed to confirm underlying suspicions. I don't want to dismiss Wright's overall message or past ministry based on this month of exposure, but he wouldn't be the first pastor to have a great ministry over his lifetime but blow his legacy in the end due to personal ego poor discernment.

I think race has a tremendous amount to do with this. It will be very easy to exploit this in a "no matter what they might look like, behind closed doors they're ALL like this" way. Hagee and Paisley are white. They're backing a candidate for whom the system was designed. McCain has no deeply imbedded stereotypes to overcome. He'll easily get a pass on these endorsements. Rebublicans and possibly plenty of Hilary supporters will easily give him the benefit of the doubt as not going along with their extreme views and plenty will be happy with the associations. Obama, however, has plenty to overcome and it will be easy for anyone dipping their toe in to see the Wright stuff and think that maybe not yet. It's not fair and it's not a level playing field, but we're still a long way from where we really are and where we should be.

Obama has been caught in a situation in which the candidates' faith has been more openly discussed than I've every seen, but the real issue has evidently been how well that faith supports American policies and "patriotism". McCain attends a Southern Baptist church. Has he been questioned about his belief in women's issues? Can he be a good president if he believes women aren't to serve as leaders over men? Of course he won't be questioned on these issues. The important point is if he's a god-fearin' candidate and if his theology will interfere with American policy.

Lastly, all of this doesn't mean I'm personally at all concerned about Obama as a candidate. I am more concerned that his chances to be elected have been severely damaged.

Later
BB

steves said...

I am not really considering voting for McCain, so the Hagee thing means little to mean. I favor Obama at this point, so Wright is a little more important to me. I appreciate any 'real' information on Obama.

I honestly don't know what to make of Wright. I'll admit I know very little about black churches, but I am willing to learn and listen. I would also like to know more about Obama's experience at that church and why he choose to go there. I am certainly not looking for a reason to not vote for Obama, but I would also like to make an informed decision as to who I want the next president to be.

I won't say that "we don't really know Obama," but I guess I am so used to politicians saying one thing and meaning another that I tend to be skeptical.

Bootleg Blogger said...

Streak- Check this article out- Jeremiah Overboard | Wittenburg Door
BB