April 28, 2008

Eh

I have been a little morose lately and am not even sure why. Spring has always been a little hard on me for reasons I really can't quite identify. Perhaps it is the uptick in allergy symptoms, or the warmer days and nights. In some cases, it brings back memories of last year. I still miss my dog Alafair a lot lately.

Most of my mood is probably more about fatigue and stress. (Let's just hope that some jackass doesn't pop into the comments and tell me that since I accept the science of evolution, I can't feel sad or stressed because those are just biological responses). The project I spent the last few months working on was a job application that ended up just not working out. It was worth a shot, and I certainly don't regret going through the process, but in the end, it just wasn't going to happen in a way that was good for SOF and myself. And as much as I am at peace with that, the last few months have just worn me out.

I will be fine. We are working on our vegetable garden and trying to get our yard in shape. That is fun and fills me with a sense of anticipation for the warmer weather--something I can often find myself dreading if I am not careful. But I am always happier when I accept the weather (or any of the millions of things outside my control) rather than fighting them. Duh. Pretty obvious, but I find it harder than that to maintain. I often think about the plaque my mother made for me years ago with the serenity prayer on it. Good advice, that.

That is something I keep trying to remind myself about the election as well. I voted in the OK primary, and have contributed money to Obama's campaign. I can do no more than that. Getting anxious about the election doesn't actually accomplish much.

Don't get me wrong. I will still rant about this stuff. That is part of how I work through this anxiety and frustration and helplessness. But I work to not let it get me down.

Anyway

5 comments:

Tony said...

Hey--don't know what to say other than thoughts and prayers are with you. Everything will work out. Keep your chin up.

Streak said...

I really don't mean to sound so down. My former advisor said I had a "brooding personality" and while I am not completely sure what he meant, I am a bit on the moody side. And for whatever reason, felt a little down lately.

But all that said, I am doing well, and have much to be thankful for. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Bootleg Blogger said...

Streak- If you really believed in evolution you wouldn't be concerned about some jackass because being a jackass is behavior that does not benefit the well being of the species as a whole so how could it be the result of "evolution". In fact, the current plethora of jackasses, especially religious ones, flies in the face of your evolutionary THEORY. If we were truly in an evolutionary mode those of us who tend not to be jackasses would group together, kill, and possibly roast the jackasses thereby removing their genetic material from the species. Do we do that? Of course not. We elect them to public office, send money to them when they ask for it on the TV, buy their books, and pay for their seminars. This alone should refute your precious evolutionary THEORY. See, you're liberal double speak has found you out yet again. The presence of jackasses is proof of the divine and how pissed off he must be at you and your liberal evolutionary cult. Take care, Streako. The jackasses are circling (but don't let them get you down)
BB

leighton said...

BB's remarks might have been true 70 or 80 years ago, but I believe we are making great progress toward what I'll call the Second Neo-Bootlegian Synthesis, which will provide the social mechanisms to concentrate all jackasses in one area and publicly mock them until it is no longer feasible for anyone to help them propagate their genetic material.

Until then--to the Dogmamobile, Evolution-Man!

Bootleg Blogger said...

So, Leighton, I'm archaic, is that your point? You're evolutionary THEORY is obviously bogus as you assert that mockery is an effective tool against jackasses. In doing this you are acknowledging CREATIONISM in line with Numbers 22:29
"And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee."

Double speaking evolutionists!!!

BB