September 6, 2008

This is a small one, but the lies really start to mount

And I am wondering why it doesn't matter more that Palin and McCain repeat lies like her selling the luxury plane on Ebay for a profit when they actually sold the plane through a broker for a loss.

As many have noted, Bush and Rove seemed to have read Orwell (well, no one thinks Bush read Orwell) as a manual rather than a warning. Their willingness to repeat demonstrable lies over and over again with absolutely no shame really should be one of their legacies. That McCain and Palin seem to have gone to school on that tactic should be of great concern.

And let me also note, for the record here, the insanity of religious conservatives supporting this kind of behavior. When I left the Republican Party and the Baptist church, I heard from many that I was leaving a foundational approach to truth, where there was "one truth" and instead becoming a moral relativist where "truth was my opinion." I think you can see the disconnect there.

I know politics are politics, and politicians will often spin and spin and spin. (Funny aside, according to one report from the forthcoming Woodward book, John McCain got so angry at the Bush admin for their constant spin. I think he has gotten over that--perhaps as he has decided to listen to all the same advisors who got us into this mess in the first place). I know politicians can't be counted on to be openly honest, but the Bush people seem to have so lowered the bar that they don't even have to try any more.

I am hopeful that one positive thing out of this last week is that McCain has lost the edge he had with the press, and am hoping that they will (gasp) fact-check these bastards more often.

sigh.

No comments: