September 1, 2008

Ah, Evangelicals

Tony pointed me to this support from evangelical leaders for the Palin family. And you know what? I don't mind their support for the Palins. This family has been through a lot. Yeah, the mom knew that her daughter was pregnant and still thought that putting her on the national stage was ok, but regardless, these are just people and just another family trying to negotiate difficult times. Evangelical leaders like Richard Land and James Dobson want to extend grace and acceptance to this family trying to do the right thing.

If that were all, of course, it would be nice. But, of course, they refuse to extend that level of grace to liberals in a similar situation. If Obama were the one, of course, with a pregnant teenage daughter, can you imagine Dobson and Land reaching out and defending his family?

Nope, because Land and Dobson are conservatives first, and maybe Christian third.

4 comments:

Monk-in-Training said...

Sadly, Streak recent experience makes me agree with you. I have very little expectation that Dobson, et al would extend the same mercy to a Democratic nominee's child as they are to their own.

Of course, I think that if the girl had had clear and complete sexual education, the chance of her being pregnant would be greatly reduced.

Streak said...

Yeah, I thought of that too. Palin is on record as being completely opposed to any sex education that is not only about abstinence. Her own experience would seem to violate that. It puzzles me.

Tony said...

I think this goes without saying, but for (most) Republicans and the right, sex ed is off the radar. That would presume then that teens are having sex (even Christian teens) and that reflects not on the teens but on their parents and ultimately, their policy. To offer any kind of sex ed would be to concede that abstinence is not working.

As I predicted, Palin is becoming a poster girl for the right's "values." It boggles my mind that they can manipulate this girl's mistakes, and her family's mistakes, and gain much political capital. Trust me, I believe that God can and does use all things for good (Ro 8:29), but this reeks of something entirely different.

Tony said...

Romans 8:28. I do read my Bible. I promise. Sheesh!