August 31, 2008

Limping through Labor Day

Sigh.

And just about to go on a news fast. Saw that McCain and Palin's slogan is "country first." Because the rest of us are traitors and only Republicans love their country. And of course, because a 72 year old man nominating a 44 year old, untested woman from Alaska is "putting country first." Did you know he was a POW? And I saw that Mona Charen (conservative) said that Palin was "from America. Obama is not." I am sure there was nothing about race in that statement. Not at all.

Sigh.

And I am sure that Palin's supporters are consistent in that they want opportunities for all women. To her credit, I saw that she mentioned Hillary at a speech the other day crediting her for opening opportunities for women in politics. Nice. Kind of like the Democrats mentioning McCain's service positively numerous times during last week's convention--to widespread polite applause.

Conservatives booed when Palin mentioned Hillary. Because, of course, they are the party of morality. I keep forgetting that. God prefers them, and they are more moral than us Godless, morally relativistic liberals. Just ask them. When they support torture, by God, it is justifiable. When they invade other countries, it is moral. Feminism is evil even when it opens up opportunities for conservative women too. And at least they don't like gays.

Sigh.

*****

So I will turn my attention back to music. And football. Looks like some good music coming out this September. Jenny Lewis and Mark Erelli both have new albums, and the Kasey Chambers/Shane Nicholson album will finally be available in the states. Calexico finally has a followup to Garden Ruin. All of those look intriguing.

6 comments:

Tony said...

McCain was a POW? OMG, I didn't know that!!! ;-)

Seriously, a news fast would probably do us all some good. I got in a pretty intense debate at another blog about Palin. When I tried to prove the inconsistency between "party of family values" and tapping a mom with five kids, one with Down's etc. etc. the bloghost fell back on this is "God's woman for God's time." Even invoked the "for such a time as this" passage from Esther. Sigh...more so, grrrrr...

No recognition of the real reasons why Plain is where she is. No recognition of the severe emotional toll this will take on her family. "I'm sure she can do all things through Christ who will strengthen her."

No recognition of how her choice is legitimately not a foil to McCain and only makes Repubs look foolish.

No recognition of the ideal of "stay-at-home" mom and how it flies in the face of the pro-family arguments used to justify it. Sure, sacrifice your family on the altar of career. Just don't have an abortion.

No recognition that this really does make McCain look desperate and not brilliant.

"This most certainly is NOT a pander!"

Never mind that this reveals McCain is truly concerned about his age.

And nevermind that she is woefully unprepared to lead the country much less prepared to be CinC if it comes to that.

She's conservative. Opposes abortion. Opposes civil unions. Any other questions?

I think you and I both need time away from all this.

Streak said...

"God's woman for God's time?" Puke. That is exactly what the same people said about the torturer.

Hell, they are still saying it for all I know.

Sigh

Karma Shuford said...

Football is good, guys. :) or soccer, or even badminton.

Have a great Labor Day, streak. And don't watch the news or listen to the radio -- unless you are in Gustav's path (which elevates the "right" into a whole new realm of irony).

steves said...

Tony, that is certainly a good point you raise, but I would say it should only apply to people who assert that women belong at in the house and should be home-schooling their kids. This isn't a belief that is shared by all conservatives, certainly not by any that I know personally.

I'll give your credit for pointing that out. I have been tempted a few times, but just didn't have the energy.

Tony said...

Steve,

Thanks. That first comment was mostly the gist of a debate I had on another blog with a conservative who thinks Palin is the best thing since sliced bread.

No, I certainly don't think that every mother should stay home and homeschool their kids. These are highly personal choices with several variables that must be taken into consideration. I point that out primarily to show that a lot of conservatives don't approve of Palin running; in particular, fundamentalists of the Doug Phillips variety. I am sure McCain stands to gain more votes with this choice than ostracize, but a lot of far rights' stomachs are in knots.

Streak said...

I agree with you, Tony. As a feminist myself, I support Palin's right to raise her family as she sees fit, and understand that there are a lot of different ways to do this. But many of those on the right don't believe that, and if Palin were a liberal, she would be pilloried left and right.