August 6, 2008

Joel Osteen and his Slapping Wife

Tony has a couple posts on the case of Victoria Osteen, accused of slapping a flight attendant for a stain on her first class seat.

I loathe the commercialized Christianity these two sell (and "sell" is the operative word), but as Tony noted, some of the prospective jurors suggest that they will never have a need for a future lobotomy. So awestruck of the Osteens, several said that they were inclined (heavily) to believe whatever the Preacher and his wife said.
"As a Christian, I wouldn't feel it would be my place to judge them," another prospective female juror said.

I may be sick now.

3 comments:

Tony said...

As we have been discussing over at my blog, I get really skeptical when someone pulls out "judge not lest ye be judged" as a justification for overlooking Christians' wrongs. I have read and been in discussions where that verse is used to defend Bush, torture, and the war. I have maintained that Matthew 7:1 is the most misunderstood and misapplied verse in the entire Bible.

Pass me the Pepto.

(And one note on the new commenting box, I liked being able to subscribe to comments via email. I'm unable to do that now.)

Streak said...

Tony, you are right. I never noticed that. I think I will switch back because I like that feature a lot myself on other blogs.

steves said...

I have maintained that Matthew 7:1 is the most misunderstood and misapplied verse in the entire Bible.

I agree. I see it used to tell people that they should never be critical of any kind of behavior.

"As a Christian, I wouldn't feel it would be my place to judge them," another prospective female juror said.

This would seem to make voir dire pretty easy.