August 18, 2008

It is just one of those days

I think I pulled one of my hamstring muscles last week. My yoga teacher tells me that there are three on each leg. Or something. Whatever it is, it stretches from my, uh, upper thigh, to my knee along the outside of the leg. Gradually getting better (I think) but painful and annoying. Add to that, the rain (which I like, and appreciate, mind you) which darkens my mood, and you have one annoyed blogger.

The news doesn't help my mood either. We have had a rousing discussion here at the blog where Anglican posted that list of things we shouldn't do from Leviticus (in addition to homosexuality, of course). My favorite is the one about the neighbor working on the Sabbath. "Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?"

Heh.

Ok, a few items and then I have to move on to other stuff. Hat tip to FP from the comments, pointing us to this story: Waterboarding an attraction at amusement park. Turns out it is a protest of waterboarding at Coney Island, and from what it sounds like, fairly effective. Hope Dick Cheney doesn't hear about it.

Our discussion in the open thread was about Rick Warren's recent hosting of Obama and McCain at his Saddleback monstrosity church where the kingmaker wannabe Preacher asked different questions to the candidates each candidate the same questions in an honest attempt to help McCain talk about religion in American political life.

Yeah, but it turns out for all the questions he asked (none on torture, btw h/t Tony) the only one he cared about was those on abortion. Because any of us who are pro-choice are the same as holocaust deniers, and there is no way in hell that Preacher Rick is voting for a holocaust denier. Just last week, evidently, he said he would never vote for an adulterer either. But that was evidently only in the case of John Edwards, and he never asked McCain about that either. What is more, Pastor Rick asserted this:
Warren also told Gilgoff that Democrats' efforts to talk about faith alone fall flat: "just because a person can say 'God' and 'Jesus' and 'salvation' and whatever doesn't mean they have a worldview. And people want to know what do they believe, not just their personal faith.
Because, you see, only conservatives are true Christians. Duh.

And finally, I even hesitate to post this, but it seems like a very interesting story, if true. John McCain, as you know, spent time in a POW camp during George Bush's drinking and drug years Vietnam. He talks about it every chance he gets is loathe to discuss his experience because, you know, he doesn't want to politicize being a POW.

Well, evidently, he has a story about a VN guard who very subtly drew a cross in the dirt to let McCain know that he was a Christian. Only problem is that the story only started showing up in his memoirs in 1999, and it wasn't that McCain didn't talk about his POW experience before that. Oh, and it also sounds exactly like a story about Solzhenitsen.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it's along the outside of your leg, it may be the IT band, and not the hamstring. It runs from hip level to the knee, and is a pretty common injury. In either case, you could try using a foam roller to work out the pain.

Streak said...

I kind of wondered about the IT band as well. It does hurt at both ends, where as I have had hammy injuries before and they usually just hurt on one end.

Thanks, anonymous. (Probably the first time I have ever thanked one of my anonymous commenters) :)

fightingpreacher said...

Streak, though I disagree with his use of it, Rick is suggesting a new holocaust. The holocaust he states you are denying is the death of 40 million children. Maybe I read your post wrong but I thought you were some how suggesting that Rick Warren was linking pro-choice with the holocaust of Jews.

I think the adultery question would of been a fair comment...I wonder how Newt would respond.

leighton said...

It's obvious what Warren meant, but that doesn't make his comment any more appropriate or any less batshit crazy.

A little consistency on the matter of adultery would be nice too.

Becca said...

Thanks, anonymous for looking out for our friend Streak. I think you might be right, but here is what is confusing... he says his, um, butt hurts by the sits bones (sorry streak, ha.ha.), which usually I haven't heard about with ITBS? Did you have ITBS yourself, did it make your bum hurt too? His knee hurts on the outside which does point to IT band problems. Usually hammy stuff makes it hurt on the inside just below the knee. Sorry steak... ha.ha. Let's hope it's not BOTH. oh god.

Tony said...

But that was evidently only in the case of John Edwards, and he never asked McCain about that either.

Just to be fair, Warren asked both Obama and McCain what "their greatest moral failures" were. McCain poignantly answered that his greatest moral failure was when his first marriage failed. It was perhaps the only time McCain seemed to show any emotion.

I know a failed marriage, depending on your viewpoint, may or may not be adultery. However, McCain did state he was responsible for its failure. FWIW.

Streak said...

Upper thigh! Upper thigh!

Oh well. :)

FP, leighton is exactly right. The comparison to the Holocaust deniers is batshit crazy. No one is denying that abortion has happened. The issue is how to address it. Beating his chest and saying he "opposes abortion" doesn't make Rick Warren any more helpful in reducing abortions than Obama. And possibly less so.

Tony, I realize that. I read some of the questions. From what I read, McCain mentioned that and Warren never followed up with any questions. Nor does it take away from Warren's own hypocrisy here, since even by McCain's admission, he cheated on his first wife multiple times. I am pretty sure he is an admitted adulterer, and not because he destroyed his marriage.

leighton said...

So Warren would never vote for an adulterer (like Edwards)...unless he expresses remorse like McCain did. But Edwards' remorse wasn't as good as McCain's remorse, because...um...

*crickets*

I also note a distinctly passive voice in McCain's admission..."my first marriage failed" doesn't exactly specify what happened, or who took what actions that caused the failure. Evangelicals are different, but I know Catholics at least have to admit what happened before they can move on to absolution.

Maybe the difference between McCain and Edwards is that when McCain "confesses," he doesn't actually say the word "adultery" or "cheated" or anything like that. So it's not so much committing adultery that's the sin, as talking about it afterward.

Monk-in-Training said...

While I certainly do not condone McCain's adultery, the thing that got me was the reason he left his wife. She was injured in a car wreck and no longer the pretty thing she was when he went away.

For those of us, whose spouse is in the nearer Presence of God, it is especially difficult to get past this character 'issue'.

Streak said...

Leighton, I agree completely. Passive voice. It "happened," not I cheated on her with a series of women.

And Monk, you are right. His selfishness and lack of class in that situation is why Nancy Reagan is still pissed at him. If you see her endorsement it is "Ronnie and I always endorsed the nominee, and John McCain is the nominee." Or something like that.

I don't think McCain is a good person.

Tony said...

Just to be clear, I'm not defending McCain nor trying to cover up Warren's hypocrisy. I think for Warren to try to be some kind of "morality police" is ridiculous. Before we know it, religious right offenders will be going to Warren for absolution.