August 27, 2008

DNC night 3--Historical

And, as my best friends will attest to, I am in a pissed off mood. Not from the convention. Hell, I thought the Democrats actually did great tonight. No, I was pissy because I tuned into some conversations that were just bashing everyone from Clinton to Kerry.

Fine.

I really don't care what others think. I watched Bill Clinton give an amazing speech. One of the best I have seen. He actually raised the issue of torture, and called on us again to be better. But in between him and Joe Biden (who I also thought was great) was an amazingly fiery speech by John Kerry, (only to hear people grousing about him being boring). I bet you 100 dollars, Kerry had to rush his speech because Clinton went over time, but he still turned in one of the highlights of the convention. He also raised torture--dared to say that America doesn't torture (obviously a commie pinko wimp) and called the Swiftboaters what they were--smear merchants. He then pointed out the obvious, that the Republicans don't own the American flag--something that still grates with me personally.

And then, Barack Obama came out. Forget all the bullshit conventioneering. Forget the manufactured nature of this event (and next week's in St. Paul). Forget the pageantry.

The Democrats officially nominated an African American for President of the United States. Historical. Something many of us thought we would never see.

History.

Republicans offer us Swiftboating and smear for this campaign. I prefer history. And even if we lose this campaign, I will be proud to stand with history.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, am proud to stand with history making. However, I must be honest that early in the primary season I was scared about backing a black candidate. That said I decided to learn more about this man, this human being, and I came to see someone who thinks deeply and considers many factors before making decisions. I confess I was afraid to put a sign in my front yard in support of Barack Obama because I feared someone throwing something through our front window because we were supporting a black man. That said we put a sign in our front yard which was stolen (yes, we got a replacement yesterday and we'll buy another one and another one if necessary should these too be stolen. We'll replace the window if necessary, too.) But tonight while driving home from work when I heard that Barack Obama was officially nominated as the Democratic candidate for President of the United States, my eyes and heart filled with tears because this truly is a historic moment for our country!!

Congratulations Barack and Michele Obama. Tonight I am truly proud to be a Democrat and an American.

steves said...

Bill was always able to give a great speech. Even when I disagreed with him (which was often), I was impressed with his abillity to speak. That being said, I think it is time for the Clintons to move on. Bill's other recent speech (the one where he alluded to people voting for McCain because Obama wouldn't be able to get anything done) and Hillary's tactics during the primary left a bad taste. I am glad they were able to give Obama the support he deserves, but honestly, what choice did they have?

And then, Barack Obama came out. Forget all the bullshit conventioneering. Forget the manufactured nature of this event (and next week's in St. Paul). Forget the pageantry.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a Democrat (which most here already know). I got chills listening to him. No, I am not some kind of fainting Obamaniac. It was just a very exciting moment. Not only the history, but the energy and what he had to say. Stunning!

Tony said...

No snark intended--this is sincere--this makes me wish I was a Democrat. I don't know if Steve has noticed this for I have not, but I have not heard any Republican refer to the obvious history of this nomination.

steves said...

I don't know if Steve has noticed this for I have not, but I have not heard any Republican refer to the obvious history of this nomination.

Yes, I have heard references made by Republicans as to the historic aspect. I can't say the same for the pundits and talking heads, though.

steves said...

No snark intended--this is sincere--this makes me wish I was a Democrat.

No matter the outcome, this is a proud moment in the history of our nation and should be shared by all Americans.

Tony said...

Agreed. Great point, Steve.

Anonymous said...

I am fainting Obamaniac, and I support this message.

Streak said...

It will be interesting to see how the Republicans respond. I am not hopeful.

Monk-in-Training said...

Unfortunately my party (the Republicans) will probably respond with nasty, arrogant, vapid school yard bully insults rather than any actual message. It is very unfortunate, at a time when we should all be proud of our nation's advancement.

Perhaps one day, we might all be one, as we SHOULD be in the Church.

leighton said...

I'm technically a Democrat, but I only registered so I could vote for Obama in the CO primary. I'm glad I did, even though the party affiliation is just a couple of bits in a voter registration database. It's not a bad place to be sitting at this time in history.

leighton said...

And lo and behold, McCain releases a positive ad about the nomination.

I'm off to go buy some lotto tickets...

Jadon said...

Well, Tony, Huckabee commended Obama on the Colbert Report the other day.