August 15, 2008

Friday roundup

Bush To Russia: Stop The "Bullying And Intimidation":
"'Bullying and intimidation are not acceptable ways to conduct foreign policy in the 21st century,' the president said."
Just too rich--our President lecturing other countries on "bullying foreign policy." Seriously? Does this guy even know about his own Presidency?

*****

As Tony notes this morning, we have another candidate for a, well, delusional candidate
"In the twenty-first century, nations don't invade other nations."

Yeah, John McCain said that. I guess our invasion of Iraq just doesn't count in his brain. Why not just come out and say, "when we do something, it is fine." Grownup Republicans? You really don't think that kind of "do as I say, not as I do" will actually be a sustainable foreign policy, do you?

*****

According to an analysis of campaign contributions by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, Democrat Barack Obama has received nearly six times as much money from troops deployed overseas at the time of their contributions than has Republican John McCain, and the fiercely anti-war Ron Paul, though he suspended his campaign for the Republican nomination months ago, has received more than four times McCain's haul.
But I thought the military were all grateful for the Republican support and were staunchly Republican. After all, Democrats are "soft" on the military issue of your choice, and don't like people in the military. Even when the candidates are from the military.

Perhaps not. After 8 years of harming our military to the breaking point--and continuing to threaten military action in Iran, Georgia, (who want's next?), etc., perhaps those actually doing the fighting are getting sick of neo-con led foreign policy.

As it turns out, by the way, the military isn't the only shocking place where Obama gets support.
But a recent poll taken by the Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation reveals that Obama has more support among hunters and fishers than previous Democratic nominees Al Gore and John Kerry. A Christian research firm says that Obama enjoys more support than McCain among all Christian subgroups excepting Evangelicals. The Washington Post also polled working class whites and found that they support Obama over McCain too.
All sub groups except evangelicals. I swear. I will never figure those guys out. They supported Bush after the torture stuff came out too. What the hell?

*****

Speaking of Christian conservatives, as Tony also noted this morning, and of course, our lovely Anonymous commentator noted yesterday, Victoria Osteen received a unanimous verdict of not-guilty of slapping a flight attendant. Fine. But I know full well they will attribute this verdict to God's intervention, just as our commentator credited their obscene (that's right, obscene) wealth to God's desire. Their theology makes me ill. When greed is actually masked as "listening to God"--it lends itself to a Gilded Age theology, which you see front and center with the Osteens. I know this is not Christianity, but as in the grownup Republican issue, I would like to see the Christians who believe in sacrifice, sin, and even those who think that greed is not good--to stand up. And by the way, while you are up, please tell James Dobson the same thing, and remind him and Bush that torture is not a Christian act.

****

Speaking of torture, one of Sully's readers just finished the Dark Side:
the second half of it more or less since 12 pm this afternoon. Last night, sitting in one of those cafes they stick on the sides of Barnes and Nobles, I almost broke down crying. Instead, I went to the poetry section and quietly read aloud a couple of Hektor's speeches in the Iliad -- something oddly reassuring about them to me.
Scattered throughout my copy of the book are prayers for forgiveness. That was all I kept thinking as I read. Normally, I'm angry about this. With this account, I only felt a deep, tremendous sadness.

9 comments:

steves said...

I would like to see the Christians who believe in sacrifice, sin, and even those who think that greed is not good--to stand up.

Many do. We are trying. There are some that are vocal about it, like Tony Campolo. I am not going to try and make excuses, it is just that some of the worst offenders are the loudest or get a disproportionate amount of press (e.g. "Rev." Phelps).

leighton said...

I think I'm less concerned with the visibility of sensible Christians than with how prevalent they are in their communities. It's unreasonable to expect balanced media coverage, but people do have control about how much they speak out locally against the evangelical culture of gullibility that assumes anyone who worships God and says the word "Jesus" must necessarily be acting with unimpeachable motives. That widespread desperate shortage of wisdom has serious consequences for the republic.

Tony said...

Wait.

Tony Campolo is a moderate. Maybeeee even a liberal. Certainly he has no credibility here.

Streak said...

Many are, I agree. The conservative (grownup) voices, however, are very, very, very quiet.

Streak said...

Tony,

of course liberals have no credibility. They want to have separation between church and state. Losers.

:)

Tony said...

Well, anyone with a name like his cannot have anything cogent to say.

;P

steves said...

It's unreasonable to expect balanced media coverage, but people do have control about how much they speak out locally against the evangelical culture of gullibility that assumes anyone who worships God and says the word "Jesus" must necessarily be acting with unimpeachable motives.

I agree. I wasn't trying to complain about the media and I certainly don't expect more in that regard. I still contend that there are some Christians capable of critical thought and reasonableness. I see them at all sorts of events and functions. Again, I am not going to excuse the people that you describe, but I just wonder if they are just part of a larger group that is gullible in general.

Tony Campolo is a moderate. Maybeeee even a liberal. Certainly he has no credibility here.

I would say a moderate. I never said he was a conservative. I just gave him as an example of a Christian that talks about greed, poverty, and peace. Sheesh, I am trying here, or should I just give up any semblance of a discussion and just agree?

Tony said...

Steve,

I'm sorry! I meant absolutely nothing toward your comment; I was giving Streak a hard time. That's why I followed up with essentially that anyone with the name "Tony" can't be respectable. :)

I actually do respect Campolo and have for a very long time. If I had to recommend a voice from the middle the right should listen to, Campolo would be it. His book, Red Letter Christians has been on my reading list for a while (our local library has a copy; big local library fan here); its just my stupid reading list gets longer and longer. I got three books in the mail last week and one yesterday.

Again, I apologize, friend.

steves said...

No worries, Tony.

I had never really heard much about Campolo, but Dan Merchant interviews him for his book and documentary, Lord, Save Us From Your Followers: Why is the Gospel of Love Dividing America? He seemed like a real decent guy, so I will have to see if our library has it (huge library fan here, too). BTW, the Merchant book is really good.