November 3, 2004

America the Embarrassment

Like many other progressive liberals, I watched last night with horror as our worst fears seemed realized. Here are the lessons I take from this election:

  • Bigotry and Fear triumph over hope and thoughtfulness. Bush appealed to the worst in people and they responded in kind. Gay bashing, fear of terror, bullshit version of Christianity--all won out last night.


  • Incompetence no impediment to electoral victory. Bush created a clusterfuck of immense proportions in Iraq, doubled the price of gas, and furthered the gap between the rich and poor, and people responded by reelecting him. What does that say about America?


  • Americans don't care shit about the Environment. Bush has run the most environmentally unfriendly administration in history and this will continue, not abate. Take a breath now because clean air and water may be in short supply in 4 years.


  • America has no idea what moral values really are. This morning on NPR, they noted that people cited moral values as often as the economy and terrorism and more than Iraq. Those people voted in overwhelming margins for Bush. If you still say that Bush is moral and representative of moral values, then you are a moron. Pure and simple. If the only way you categorize moral values is with regard to homosexuals and abortion, then shame on you. And read your fucking bible!


  • Speaking of Bible, what the fuck? As if this was even possible, I have lost even more respect for conservative Christians. If you really think that my gay friends are a bigger threat than global warming then you need to read a book, or something! Jesus F. Christ! What kind of faith is this? Selfishness rules! As long as I get my tax cut, then fuck everyone else.


  • Ignorance seems to win out as well. What does it say about the America republic when 70% of Bush supporters believe false information about Iraq and the war on terror? I am not talking about debatable items like how many members of Al Qaeda have been incarcerated or killed, but the role that Iraq played in 9-11 and whether we found WMD or not. So, those of you who still think we found WMD, you are the morons who are reducing our democracy to an illiterate level. Thanks. The blind devotion to Bush reminds me unfortunately of 1930s Germany. Highly literate people looking the other way--believing bullshit and refusing to look at the truth.


  • So where does that leave me? I don't know. Obviously, I am on the outside of the mainstream. Here in Oklahoma, we elected a racist, fascist idiot to the Senate (though the alternative was only marginally better). This dickhead said that blacks were genetically more likely to have shorter life spans, and said that lesbianism was so frequent in SE Oklahoma that the schools didn't let girls go to the bathroom unattended. Hey, but he is one of your Christian brethren, preaching morality and the Bible. Congrats! This is the kind of guy that would put people in cattle cars.

    I hope you are all happy with your choice. You will get exactly the government you deserve. I hope you like poverty, because you will have more. I hope you like war, because you will have more. I hope you like environmental destruction, because....well, you know. We will be saved from the horrors of Homosexual marriage, evidently, and I hope that you are happy with that. Because your kids will have a worse life because of this election. I don't have kids. Those of you who do might want to look beyond your tax "cut" to their future. Do you really want a future where individualism is the only thing?

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I agree totally with your assessment of "America the Embarrassment." I cannot remember feeling this discouraged, disheartened, and genuinely scared in a long time. I cannot believe that Bush won. I feel like we are moving backward in time, to a place where McCarthy and Nixon would be welcomed heartily. I dislike the constant feeling of dread and fear that Bush crams down our throats. This is such a bad, bad day.

    Anonymous said...

    Why am I a moron and why am I ignorant simply because my opinion differs from yours? It seems that you are the one who is not with the mainstream, not me. Wouldn't that mean that your are the moron and not me? You claim all these things (that have been proven untrue) about the President and yet I am an ignorant moron. I beg to differ. I am intelligent and able to sift through the junk put out and make my own determinations and decisions. Do I agree with everything that the President has done? No. Do I think he has lied or even done half of the abhorant things you claim he has done? Absolutely not. Maybe you would learn something if you would open your mind to something other than rhetoric. I doubt you will but it is possible.
    Keep thinking the way you do. It will make it easier for those of us in the true mainstream to ensure that we can be truly represented by our government in future elections. Have a nice day.