November 12, 2004

Are Christians supposed to be Humble?

>

Reading Bruce Prescott's blog this morning, I found this story about how the SBC was, as he put it, "hardwired" to the Bush reelection campaign. Perhaps this is all perfectly ok. After all, certainly a democratic white house would consult with unions and supporters around the country. What is troubling, to me, is the apparent power hungry nature of the Southern Baptists, an organization I used to know quite well. Perhaps I should not be surprised. But I lament the change from an organization that could be primarily worried about the welfare of people rather than the accumulation of power. Christianity used to be about service. Undoubtedly that service was often problematic (thinking about missionaries to reservations, for example) but it was concerned with the welfare of others. Now, it is about cementing power and lording (no pun intended) that power over others. Bruce has another post on Jerry Falwell's goals for glory and power (and more donuts, no doubt!) that just reaffirms this fear.

The Daily Show ran a clip last night of an interview between George Stephanopoulos and James "spank em if you got em" Dobson. This is what spurred the title of this post.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: Dr. Dobson, you also have a problem with the ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Patrick Leahy. I want to show something that was reported in "The Daily Oklahoman" during the campaign. In the "Daily Oklahoman," it quoted you saying, "Patrick Leahy is a God's people hater. I don't know if he hates God, but he hates God's people." Now, Dr. Dobson, that doesn't sound like a particularly Christian thing to say. Do you think you owe Senator Leahy an apology?

DR JAMES DOBSON: George, you think you ought to lecture me on what a Christian is all about?


Dobson is above reproach. If you have the ear of God, you do not bother with the puny criticisms of mere mortals. Balls. Humility, dear Dr. Jackass Dobson, is a Christian value. You might want to look it up!

2 comments:

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

I agree. This is just one of many reasons why I left the SBC.

kbonline said...

While it's been a long time since I considered myself a Christian and now label myself a deist, I try to live up to the answer to the question in Micah, "What does the lord require of you?" The answer? "To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."

When religious people, particularly those who quote the Bible, don't embrace that then they lose my respect.

If any of these folks want to be remotely convincing in their evangelistic efforts, they better find some humility. Then again, maybe they should stay proud since I wouldn't mind seeing them fall.

BTW, love your blog.

Kathy at Random Thoughts on Politics