November 4, 2004

A Request!

First ever here at Streak's Blog, a friend has asked that I post something. My good friend Jape is starting a mix-tape to perhaps massage the pain of this election.

The frustration and sadness was palpable here yesterday, especially on campus at UW-Madison.  We were still talking about it this morning, and Adrienne and I came up with an idea in the car for a post-election mixtape.  So, I am taking nominations for a song cycle beginning where we're at (wherever that is) and ending in some sort of hopeful way (Supreme Court aside)

 Adrienne came up with Tears for Fears 'Sowing the Seeds of Love', which I think needs to be either the closing song or the song immediately preceeding Steve Earle's 'The Revolution Starts Now', which could be a nice closer as well. 

 For the opener, I like 'Shout' (hmm, more Tears for Fears following an election where more people were apparently motivated by fear than hope, seems appropo, no?).

 In honor of my sis, we need some Leonard Cohen.  I think Everybody Knows works perfectly. (Lyrics here http://www.lyricsfreak.com/l/leonard-cohen/82809.html)

We might need some World Party in there, probably 'Way Down Now,' because the line 'Inside my future eye/what I see just makes me cry' fits so well.

 Madness' 'Shut Up' ('pass the blame and don't blame me') would go well as might Julian Cope's 'World Shut Your Mouth,' (even if it does resemble Repub voter suppression strategies in some way.) 

 Elvis' (because every good mix has some Elvis) 'What's So Funny 'bout Peace Love and Understanding'

Because Milwaukee's own The Promise Ring gives good advice ('make me a mixtape/ don't forget Husker Du'), I am considering 'In a Free Land' but fear that "Dead Set on Destruction' or "You're a Soldier' might be more appropriate.

 This admin's environmental policies have me thinking of Dave Matthews Band -- what's that Don't Drink the Water song called?

 I'm trying to get my mojo working again, so please help.  Let's shoot for 20 songs or so.  Please pass this on to others who might be interested in contributing and I'll send the final song list to anyone interested. 

Or maybe Streak could post it in his blog?  Good dog, Streak.


done and done!

To be a cynic, I might suggest the entire Jayhawks album "Sound of Lies" but that probably isn't going to make us feel better. Neither would James McMurtry's "Too Long in the Wasteland" or Alejandro Escovedo's "Pissed off at 2 a.m." or Ryan Adam's "Starting to Hurt."

I think the mix-tape would have to have Neil Young's "Rocking in the Free World" and REM's "It's the End of the World as we know it" or U2's "Pride". I also suggest Wilco's "Ashes of American Flags." I will continue to think about it. Post some suggestions!

4 comments:

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No.3 (The Symphony of Sorrowful Songs)
immediately comes to mind. But it's a little long -- about an hour --
so I don't think it would work well on your mix tape. See here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/reviews/058_gorecki_sorrowful_songs.htm

And Gorecki is Polish, too, so you could insert the "you forgot
Poland" joke of your choice.

Peace.

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks! This is cool. Maybe all those on our email list can post their suggestions here? Looks like we are well on our way to compiling a box set.

-- B. Banzai, rock star

Streak said...

Absolutely! Post away. When we have a few more, we will incorporate them into the post as a followup or updated post.

Anonymous said...

P.K. and Scout suggest Billy Bragg's "Waiting For the Great Leap Forward," which includes the wonderful lyric "if no one seems to understand/Start your own revolution and cut out the middleman."

Also, Malvina Reynolds has some good stuff. And I would personally include my new favorite anthem, Leonard Cohen's "Democracy." Best lyrics: "I'm sentimental if you know what I mean/I love the country but I can't stand the scene./And I'm neither left or right/I'm just staying home tonight/getting lost in that hopeless little screen." Ah, yes, Sail on, O mighty Ship of State.