October 9, 2004

Need some Wood?

To be fair to the Prez, I was confused during this portion of the debate. Partially because I was live blogging and partially because I was chatting with a friend about the sorry state of our democracy if this guy is President. But anyway, back to the wood. Pandagon nailed that pretty well: "10:10 P.M. - Bush didn't have an answer for Kerry's point that he counts as a small businessperson because he derives minor income from a lumber company. Bush tries to make the audience laugh, pretty much fails, and, I think, asks John Kerry for anal sex."

Brad Delong points to the Factcheck.org! to address the whole Timber thing. Bush really should know more about, well lots of stuff. "President Bush doesn't understand that in 2001 he claimed to be part-owner of a timber-growing business, and so fell under his own definition of 'small business owner.' Perhaps he should follow Cheney's advice--or what Cheney's advice should have been--to check factcheck.org:

'President Bush himself would have qualified as a 'small business owner' under the Republican definition, based on his 2001 federal income tax returns. He reported $84 of business income from his part ownership of a timber-growing enterprise. However, 99.99% of Bush's total income came from other sources that year. (Bush also qualified as a 'small business owner' in 2000 based on $314 of 'business income,' but not in 2002 and 2003 when he reported his timber income as 'royalties' on a different tax schedule.) "

Hmm. So where am I this morning? Better. I have read enough other progressive bloggers to know that I am not the only one who thought that Kerry did great and that Bush was more animated and aggressive, but still bad. So, I have postponed my plans for moving to Canada (for now) and am back to some sense of relative calm.

But a few things I won't tolerate:

"Bush is a good Christian" You can only say that if you can point to one example that isn't the doofus saying he is a Christian. I keep waiting for one of the questions to ask him if his faith actually calls on him to treat anyone better. So, unless you can bring the example, keep your "good Christian man" crap to yourself.

"Everyone else thought he had WMD too" So what? Bush is the only one who invaded on that belief. Here is something that really bothers me. Say I concede that point--that Kerry and Clinton and all the others thought he had WMD and needed to be taken out. We got in there and despite what liar said last night, the most recent report does not support his claims of WMD or intent or whatever. But we do know that there aren'ty any WMD. Any chance at all that he have to acknowledge that he was wrong? Speaking of that, he has been asked repeatedly about what mistakes he has made and still can't do it. That relates to point one, and is a huge character issue. He has none. None!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was shocked, too, that anyone praised Bush and that consensus says it was a tie. Bush seemed shrill and overly committed to a few favorite ten or so phrases. Kerry came across as thoughtful and measured, if at times a bit overly wordy. But I like that. Shocking that anyone would think that Bush looked presidential, instead of juvenile and defensive.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your thoughts on the debate. I thought I was the only one who saw that debate the other night after watching the spin machines on cable tell me that it was a split or that Bush had actually won. I don't understand how so many people are so blind to this administrations dangerous pattern of deception and lies. What can be done to better educate the public?