June 30, 2005

Another interesting day

I had one of those days again. But better. While reading a Michael Malone novel (Handling Sin, if anyone is interested), I felt great sorrow. Grief, really. SOF has mentioned that sometimes grief can be hiding in anger. I wonder if that hasn't been my reality lately. Feels like a lot of loss in the last year. Reading this book, it just came out. Tears. Grief. Sorrow. That was good. The book is interesting. Almost comic and completely unrealistic, but the characters were recognizable. I liked them. I liked their struggles and their grief. I guess that is what art does for us.

I then went to my mando lesson where I spent 30 minutes learning two new tunes. My teacher is a fun guy, and we sit and talk about different music and guitars and mandolins. I almost alwasys leave there with a bit of rejuvination. And some new tunes.

I finished off the night with this:
.

I made a batch of beer. I like doing this even though the hot weather makes it harder. Making beer requires optimism and patience--sentiments I have lacked recently. In a few weeks, we will find out if my hard work was worth it. For those who are wondering, it is an India Pale Ale, which is my favorite style. Bitter, bitter and more bitter. Colonialism's great creation. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I once made an IPA in the church kitchen. The place smelled AWESOME for days afterward. Drink one for me!

kgp