June 16, 2005

More anniversary notes

My folk's anniversary proved very enjoyable. Family get-togethers are always a bit interesting, and this one was that, but I for one enjoyed myself. The folks had a good time, and I am glad for that.

A few random thoughts:

***

Great memory of my cousin (who I had not seen for 30 years) playing a song he wrote years ago on a borrowed guitar. (He did so without the ring finger on his left hand. He lost it on his ranch when his wedding ring caught on something. Yikes.) But his song was great and it was a neat moment.

****

Westerners talk about "moisture" and rainfall all the time. Yeah, Oklahomans do it too, but in Colorado it is part of the opening exchange. It had been a while for me, so it caught me a bit off-guard, but everyone was able to tell me what their average rainfall numbers were and where this year falls. (Yeah, I know, my own research is on water in the West, so I know about this, but I was still a bit surprised).

****

As I write this blog entry, we are watching a huge wind "event" coursing through Oklahoma. No tornadoes, but wind at 80+ mph, and hundreds of miles wide. But this is not a normal storm. But several of my relatives all spoke of Oklahoma as if it was one big tornado or flat plain.

****

No comments: