June 2, 2005

What's the matter with Kansas? Stupid Senators, that is what.

Feministe ? Anti-Suffragist H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E: "I think the 19th Amendment, while it's not an evil in and of itself, is a symptom of something I don't approve of. The 19th Amendment is around because men weren't doing their jobs, and I think that's sad. I believe the man should be the head of the family. The woman should be the heart of the family.
-- Kansas State Senator Kay O'Connor, 2001--


As Feministe points out, the hypocrisy is that this woman has been elected before and as now running for Secretary of State. Isn't it heartwarming when someone this stupid is running for office? After she has said that she herself shouldn't be able to vote? I am starting to agree. I know too many smart women to stoop to gender stereotypes, but I am beginning to think that we should have an IQ test for the polls. She would fail in an instant. The Kansas political scene would improve over night, evolution would not be challenged by half-assed, watered-down creationism, and we might have a little hope.

"Heart of the family?" Talk about historical ignorance. Read a little, Kay, before you go and chastize both sexes. Maybe try to understand that that little stereotype you just articulated is a short artifact in time--part of the 19th century Cult of True Womanhood. And, Senator, you are an idiot, and a hypocrite.

No comments: