June 5, 2005

More Lamott

TPMCafe || Politics, Ideas & Lots Of Caffeine: "However, I do feel passionately about a couple of things right now, so I'll just share those things. One is Jesus, and his message of peace and love and kindness and taking care of the poor: I cannot reconcile my faith with that of the theocrats in the White House, because I think they have gotten it so wrong. For instance, I read the New Testament nearly every day, and yet cannot find anything about handing out guns to everyone, especially to the angriest and most bigoted Americans. Also, I cannot find anything about tax cuts, imperialism, or destroying the forests. But then, I do not claim to be a good Christian, and in fact, have been referred to in the press as being a crabby believer, and this is true. However, I do know that Jesus always, a hundred percent of the time, stood up for the least amongst us, not just the stock and bond traders. Jesus always maintained that hitting first was the mark of evil, and yet, our country and Iraq are both being destroyed by America's pre-emptive war. Hasn't this administration ever heard of the word 'karma'? And I've said this way too many times already--but not to you, so maybe it is--but you KNOW that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people that you do. Yet Jesus didn't hate anyone."

No comments: