June 22, 2005

I need to stop watching Jon Stewart

Ashley Smith, who became famous for talking to her kidnapper about Rick Warren, is now writing a book. The comments on celebrity aside, her self-justification really bothers me.

Courthouse shooting hero signs book deal | ajc.com: "Over the last two months, I have given a lot of thought about whether or not to tell my story,' Smith said in a statement. 'I'm uncomfortable becoming the focus of this event, which left so many families in tragedy. But after prayerful consideration, I believe that God is calling me to use this opportunity to not only turn my own life around but also to inspire others to do that, too.'"


See how that works? She feels uncomfortable about cashing in on this, but low and behold, God speaks out and tells her to get more money. This reminds me of how convenient it was when the Mormon church heard from God that they should outlaw plural marriages, or later allow blacks into the priesthood. How convenient for them all.

Ashley, you may be a good person. But please don't blame God for your greed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be impressed only if she donated all book proceeds to charity. Watch me hold my breath...
:)

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

You really shouldn't stop watching Jon Stewart.