June 4, 2005

Summer reading

Given my change in employment and the end of the semester, it is truly time for some summer reading for me. With some birthday money, I picked up a few new books at Borders the other day.

On the light side, I read Carl Hiaasen's new (well, new in paperback) Skinny Dip. If you haven't read his stuff, you should. Not deep reading, mind you, but some of the funniest stuff out there. Dark humor, no doubt, but still incredibly funny. Tourist Season is one of my favorites, as is Native Tongue. He wrote Strip Tease and the book is (no shock) much better than the movie. His brand of humor is not for everyone, but damn it is funny.

Back to the more serious stuff. I also picked up Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven and am having real trouble putting it down. For those who don't know, it is about Mormon fundamentalism, including people who kill based on supposed messages from God. Chilling stuff.

It reminds me of the perils of patriarchical and hierarchical religion. In the case of the fundy Mormons, it is easy to see. But the women who are forced into polygamous marriages as young teens do so because they have been indoctrinated since birth to accept the leadership of their faith. They are incredibly vulnerable to people who can discuss Mormon theology and use it to justify their actions.

I don't think anything I have ever experienced comes close to this, bit it does make me think of the church speak that is so easy to use and so hard to dismiss (if you are inside those churches). I think a pretty good rule of thumb for any faith is that it should encourage dissent and thought. If it doesn't, and especially if it plays the gender card, stay away. Just say no.

No comments: