August 22, 2005

Hell? Yes! --a Southern Baptist plays with a swear word!

On my way home today, I flipped over to Richard Land. He really bugs me, even though at times he shows a humanity. But then it is gone.

Today, he had on the author of this book on truth, and I found myself agreeing with parts, but disagreeing with the whole. The author was calling for a return to intolerance--and by reading the blurbs on the book, that means no more apologies for hating homosexuality or thinking that evolution is a myth.

But there was a point where we agreed. Land (in his usual annoying self) was very hard on the relativists. I keep waiting to actually meet a relativist, but think that the closest I will get is a Southern Baptist. His argument is the straw man personified: people who think that there is no truth, nothing is wrong or right, blah blah blah. It is pure and total bullshit. Everyone I know thinks abuse and murder are wrong. Everyone I know thinks that it was wrong for some ancient cultures to sacrifice virgins. Hell, it is the right that makes excuses for slavery, right? And I am not talking about the neo-confederate nonsense that we have discussed recently. I am talking about those who say that historians are far too hard on the FF's (Founding Fathers) for their pro-slavery beliefs and not recognizing enough of their pro-Jesus beliefs. But the fact remains that Christians supported slavery and segregation in huge numbers. Hell, some of them still do.

Off point, I know, but this mantra of liberals out there saying that anything goes really bugs me. Especially when it is conservatives who have ignored every fact that goes against the Bush administration. Especially since it is conservatives who now posit that there is a valid response to any criticism of conservative thought. The same people who supported Bush's WMD claim, now say they always supported Iraqi freedom. The same people who said they believe in moral values have no problem with the Prez lying--as long as he never has oral sex in his life!

Enough. I am tired of the ridiculous mental gymnastics that my conservative friends put me through. Literal creation, Intelligent Design, the Christian Bush Presidency--all of them are proof that Christians reject facts and evidence when it suits them. Almost as if they are relativists....

1 comment:

P M Prescott said...

You have just described "Projection". Where a person projects themselves on everyone else. Liars think everyone is a liar, thieves think everyone is a thief and threat everyone accordingly.