August 12, 2005

Pat Robertson, come on!

I missed this. Thanks to the Daily Show, I hear that Pat Robertson is at it again. Remember when he prayed for a vacancy on the court? Well, he got it and is evidently happy with Roberts as O'Conner's replacement, but he wants more. He is back at it--giant head on tv, with eyes closed fervently invoking the divine to get his political way.

I know that Robert's giant head is his own problem. And I know there are a lot of people out there that see prayer the same goofy way. But it sure bothers me that he would use God and prayer as his own little bully stick. Here, God, go smite those people over there because I don't like them. God, please make me a lot of money. God, please elect the people I like because I want my way. And this one: God, please kill those who I don't like.

To paraphrase Barry Goldwater, good Christians in America should be lining up to punch Pat in his giant head. He has, for the second time in two years, pulled an Osama and invoked his divine wrath on those he doesn't like. But I don't hear a peep. Sure, in private some of my Christian friends dismiss Robertson, but the guy has his own television network where he sells his crap and gives out his stock tips, and yes, prays for the death of liberal supreme court justices.

That isn't Christian. God isn't some Mafia hit man that selfish (and very big-headed people) just order around. Christianity has become so consumer based, however, that I think most AmeriChristians really can't discern that. God is just like ordering from Amazon or downloading tunes. You just ask for what you want. And since, the same AmeriChristians have bought the Christian Nation crap, they are listening to the wrong damn people. If Bush or Pat Robertson are your spiritual guides, then I am not sure you really understand the message of the NT.

Did I say that his head is huge? They aren't zooming in on that face.

3 comments:

Wasp Jerky said...

And don't forget God, please help my mining operations with African dictators who harbor Al-Qaeda operatives to prosper.

Dr. Mike Kear said...

Great article, Streak.

It doesn't surprise me that a sideshow freak like Robertson could get his own TV show in USAmerica. What does (continually) amaze me is the astonishing gullibility of USAmerican Christians. They resemble zombies who believe absolutely anything that the TV preachers or the President tells them to believe.

Somewhere along the line, thinking and Christian faith were seen by the majority to be mutually exclusive things. What a tragedy. Imagine what would happen if even 25% of Christians woke up and began to think for themselves. What would happen if they actually believed and practiced the words of Jesus as recorded in those big black Bibles that they carry around!?

Until Christians begin to follow Christ instead of TV preachers and wingnut politicians, we will be stuck in the twilight zone of big headed bombastic nitwits and swaggering halfwit bullies for leaders.

Peace,

Mike

Bootleg Blogger said...

Streak- Here's the link where you can read all about it. I was about to fill in your information to join their efforts and send W a letter of encouragement, but then wimped out as I realized that would really be too cruel to doom you to email updates from Pat:-) There's a pretty extensive area where you can ask Pat's opinion on things and he responds (e.g Public schools, diet and exercise, war on terror). After reading a couple of the entries it became clear that I won't need to visit your blog anymore- I have now found a community to direct my every thought. Do you think it was a mistake to enter my credit card information?
Later
BB