August 11, 2005

Oh, bush, bush

Sometimes I wonder if I am a sick person. I think I could advise our President and do a better job than his advisors. Not the Karl Rove kind of stuff. I remember when he was asked--before the election--to name mistakes. All the Bush people kept telling me that it was too much to ask of the President. Excuse me? Mr Pres Jesus can't acknowlege some failings?

I told a relative that Bush should have said that he had failed to adequately convince his European allies and American critics of the necessity of the war. He could have apologized to those who opposed the war for not showing them why the war was the moral thing to do. See? He admits he didn't do everything right, but still keeps his precious invasion.

But our President is so arrogant, he can't even acknowledge that much. Nothing is ever his fault.

So, today I read this where Bush rejects Cindy Sheehan's plea to remove troops from Iraq.

What a moron. Don't get me wrong. I think that withdrawing at this point is a bad idea. It was a bad way to get into the war, but we are there now. But Bush is a jerk. This woman is sitting on the road outside his 5 week vacation house. And all he can do is send out some vapid "you have a right" in America to do this. This woman lost her son in Bush's search for WMD (something we seem to have forgotten). She has a right to be angry. She is being savaged by the likes of Bill O'Reilly and Michelle Malkin.

She deserves better. If I were advising a humane and Christian President, I would suggest that he reach out to this woman and acknowledge her pain. That he acknowledge that the war was a difficult decision for America and that he recognized that reasonable and good Americans can disagree about this war.

I remember watching Clinton on the campaign trail one time. He stepped away from his entourage to talk to people very animated about aids. People will say I am buying his act, but he exuded compassion for people. That joke about him "feeling our pain" was based in the fact that he really did communicate compassion. I remember watching that exchange on tv and thinking it was real. Was it? I don't know. But it looked hard to fake. None of that takes away from Clinton's many failings, but compassion is a good thing.

Bush seems to have none of that. Not only is he so arrogant that he can't even acknowledge mistakes, but he seems to have no concern for the people who are dying and losing loved ones in his war. Even if he is right, he should goddamn well care.

He doesn't. He doesn't care.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post.

For the neo-con right and the mouthpieces to dismiss or demonize Cindy Sheehan shows that they don't care about soldiers dying or their families. Dying soldiers are usually deemed "heroes" and their families honoured. I guess that extends only to Republican soldiers.

Yes, Bush should care for dead soldiers and their families even if he believed his cause is righteous and the grieving mom is wrong. Its called Leadership.

I think Clinton, despite his flaws and slickness, is a compassionate person. I think he went into politics to do good things. His message was always positive and optimistic. Even if his "I feel your pain" routine is just part of his act, it's an important part. People want to know they've been heard.

kgp

P M Prescott said...

They shall know you are Christians by your Love.
If you don't care, you don't love. Love is an emotion, apathy is an anti-emotion.
You're right his doesn't care, what does that say about him being such a wonderful Christian leader?