August 3, 2005

It is about who we are

I have said this before, but it is nice to see a Republican or two actually speaking up. I really hate it when I hear people justifying torture or an invasion based on what terrorists do. I really hate that I have to remind people that America is not about torture. I hate it.

Well, here are some sane voices:

Who We Are - New York Times: "There was a dramatic encounter during the floor debate last week when Senator Jeff Sessions, a Republican from Alabama, spoke out against the legislation, saying there was no need for it because, as he put it, the detainees are not prisoners of war, 'they are terrorists.'

Senator McCain, of Arizona, argued that the debate 'is not about who they are. It's about who we are.' Americans, said Mr. McCain, 'hold ourselves' to a higher standard."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I always wondered why McCain supported Bush so vigourously during last year's election, since it is clear that he had more in common with Kerry. Especially during the primaries when Bush slimmed McCain so badly. Maybe McCain has not lost his Presidential ambition and it would be easier to beat a fresh Dem then to unseat John Kerry in 2008.

I dunno...but it's clear that McCain don't lock step with the rest of the Republicans.

kgp

Streak said...

McCain is a bit of a puzzle. Lots of dems start thinking he is one of them, but he really isn't. I agree. Given how horribly Bush has treated him in the past, it is a wonder he can support him. But that support has always come with a bit of an edge. On Jon Stewart he has made fun of the prez more than once.

On this issue, I really wonder if this isn't just the POW issue. The rest of the ChickenHawk GOP is big on talk, but really undermines the military at every chance. McCain, Hagel and others have shown some balls here.

Ninjanun said...

Once again, McCain earns my respect (and my vote, if he's running in 2008). "It's not about who they are, it's about who we are. We hold ourselves to a higher standard."

Priceless.