September 11, 2005

9-11

This one snuck up on me. I remember the day like everyone does. I remember SOF coming in and telling me that a plane had hit the World Trade center. I was in the shower when she told me that another plane had hit the other tower.

I remember feeling sick that day. I have never handled catastrophes well. Things that recall apocalypse frighten me. I suppose they do everyone.

Since then it feels like we have all lost a lot. My grandmother. SOF's grandparents. I have lost relationships that I thought were solid.

But I have a lot. I have a good relationship with my parents. I have a lot of amazing friends. M&M (and M, even though she lives in Montana now). Anglican and Bucky the Badger and Cold in Laramie. Three amazing friends. Bootleg Blogger and my Texas Friend who I berate on a regular basis. My new blog friends. I don't know that I deserve these friends. But I have them and am not giving them back.

And of course, SOF. We have been together 17 years. Actually longer, but that is the official count. We have been friends for much longer. I know how lucky I am. Not giving her back either.

I watched with horror as those planes hit. I watched further as that man politicized it. But I have seen much good in people around me. I hope to see more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me, Too!!

FTOIOWLY

SOF

P M Prescott said...

It was a tragedy and still is, but Bush has used it the way Hitler used the buring of the Reichstag, as an excuse to grab power and destroy the world.

Anonymous said...

That's what bugs me about all of these public memorials. They come off as staged political forums rather than honest, heartfelt services honoring the victims. I get really irked by the politicians and media spouting the "Never Forget" mantra all the time. How can we ever forget it when you won't let us?

michelle said...

I felt and feel the same way as you do....we have to be thankful for what we have....