September 6, 2005

The state of our dialogue

We know that our country is divided. Over at BadChristian, one of Brandon's commenter's (probably provoked) blamed liberals like me for creating the partisan environment that just enourages the divide.

I don't know. I am not convinced. I know we are divided. And I don't know how to bridge it. Not to sound overly partisan, but I believe that Karl Rove likes it just that way--dividing the country is beneficial for him. But it isn't for us.

Brandon had another post on the "ethics of outrage" and how we disagree (sometimes vehemently). How are we to respond. DLW has written a lot on trying to find ways through the mess. He makes some really good points about the differences between economic and social conservatives, and offers some ways for the two sides to bridge conflicts in constructive ways.

It does feel like we are stuck. And that we are speaking a different language. Be it over church or the Bible or the President--our language is divided. How do we find common ground? How do we fight, with integrity, for what we believe in and find agreement with others?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand that your focus here is on bridging the divide, but I have to say that I'm not sitting still while liberals are blamed for creating this partison divide. What short memories the anti-Clinton conservatives have. Well before the Lewinsky scandal and the hypocritical outrage of so many in Congress, we heard Clinton accused of rape, murder, using troops to recruit women for sex, trading favors for money, etc. etc. There were millions of dollar spent to investigate and discredit Clinton and the effort was purely partisan - there was nothing ethical about it. So pardon me if I don't respond with "mea culpa" when someone says I'm helping create this divide. What's actually happened is that I've decided to engage in politics and the politics of the day.

When I have the opportunity to talk to folks on the other side of the political aisle and they don't smear, lie, rant, preach, and condescend, I'm right there. But don't blame me for not entering a dialog with people who play dirty. That's a sucker's game.

Streak said...

KB, I completely understand. As we have been discussing here, half way between two arguments is not always the truth. I agree that the conservatives have made the rules work for them. It is about moral values--until the moral values are Bush's and then it is about the gays.

I am just struggling. I don't know how to negotiate this.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how to negotiate it either - except to embrace the belief that "the truth shall set you free". We have to speak truth to power. We have to challenge the lies and defend those unfairly attacked. We need to highlight misleading labels, like the Clean Forests Initiative, and hold our leaders accountable. We have to demand answers and we can't be silent. And while we do, we have to admit when we're wrong and strive to be objective, give credit where credit is due, and live up to our own ideals. I don't know if that will work, but it's the only thing I know. And it's a path of integrity and that's something.

The one place where I move from reality to faith-based is holding on to hope that we can rescue our country from the extremists, that truth will win out, that right and wrong matter, that we are ultimately a nation with sufficient goodness of heart that we can work together, that there is a common basis for unity if we can only find it and hold onto it. I still have hope and that's all I need to keep my voice raised.

If you find a path across the divide, share it. We need it.