September 14, 2005

One of those driveway moments

I was in the car listening to NPR. Not Christian radio. NPR. And this story came on. Eliza Gilkyson talked about watching a tribute concert for the tsunami. She wondered why all the music seemed so disconnected from the tragedy and decided to write one of her own. You can hear it at the NPR site I linked to above. I went home and bought the album from Itunes.

Grief is an amazing thing. As I sat in the parking lot and listened to the song, I felt it welling. Grief about loss, both personal and communal. Grief over the losses in Katrina and Iraq and....

4 comments:

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

I heard this as well and had my own "driveway moment." Gorgeous music.

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

And good for you for not listening to "Christian" radio. You really shouldn't do that to yourself.

Anonymous said...

That's just stunning, Streak. Thanks for making sure I didn't miss it.

After listening, I went straight to iTunes as well. While I was there, I also bought "Man of God." Damn.

Bootleg Blogger said...

Once again my personal music consultant has come through with another gem. Thanks, dude. It's downloading as I type and will be burned to cd in a few minutes :-).
BB