September 7, 2005

The Bootleg Blogger raises the big question

The Bootleg Blogger: Will Our Uncle Be There When We Need Him?: "I am probably one of many Americans who have always had an underlying assumption of a governmental safety net that would be there if something really catastrophic happened, i.e. the government (local, state, national) would be there to step in. I can't help but wonder if much of the frustration and anger being expressed by those affected by the storm, but especially those NOT affected by the storm watching from the comfort of our homes, might have as a component of it the realization that the safety net isn't really there. I'm not debating whether or not it should be there or not, just making the point that for thousands of people it was not there. Only time will tell what affects this my have on the national psyche. Will the way local governments plan be affected by this, knowing that the feds may not be there? Will this affect where we locate? How we vote? For many of the victims of the hurricane such a discussion is a real luxury. Where they live, work, and travel involves much less freedom of choice than some of the rest of us on the outside looking in. But for those who do have choices and aren't trapped by necessity, what will we do with the revelations of the past weeks? Will Uncle Sam be there when we need him?"


That is the question raised by this storm. Do we as a people want our government to try to be that social safety net? Or, as the Republicans in charge seem to be saying now, we shouldn't expect the government to be able to help us. Like BB, I believed it was there. I thought that there was a shared belief and dedication to such a safety net. In fact, I agree that most Americans think that way. Unfortunately, our President and VP (who I understand just stayed on vacation--what a dick) don't seem to share that.

I restate my challenge. Conservative Republicans? I think you want more responsive and efficient government. Why do you let this administration gut government? You can make a difference.

Only question is whether you are bought off by a tax cut or convinced that Bush and his family (these poor people? wow, they don't even have an investment portfolio--is that really a life?) are the best current representatives of the Christ who chastized the wealthy and fed the poor?

That still puzzles me. How do people who talk about Christ so much support a guy who acts like a Roman emporer?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

As I wrote over on Carlos' blog, NT Wright points out that Bush is behaving more like Caesar Augustus than Jesus of Nazareth.

But, then again, this is nothing new. Since Constintine's conversion (this biggest disaster for the church - EVER!) king and rulers of so-called "Christian" countries have disregarded any of Jesus' teaching that didn't fit into their political agenda.

kgp

mitsugomi said...

Your last question is really pertinent. Let me know if you ever get a real answer to it...I personally can't wrap my mind around it. At all.

P M Prescott said...

Responding to disasters of this magnitude is what the social contract between governed and the government was created for. It is their job and it is clear the Republicans with their graft and corruption aren't up to the task.

Streak said...

Shaula, thanks for dropping in. It seems like we have run into each other somewhere in the blogosphere--your other blog sounds very familiar to me. But I can't remember right now.

Anyway, welcome and I hope I can come up with a damn answer too. I think Kevin has some of it, but the real puzzle (at least for me) is not why BushCo and his cronies play the religion card--it is why well-meaning and sincere Christians follow him?