April 1, 2006

This week

Let's see:

Monday, I had a student openly crying in my office.

Tuesday, I picked a fight with a pro-lifer over a public demonstration that called abortion genocide. I suggested that abortion was certainly contentious and that there was room to argue, but it wasn't genocide. And I stand by that. I also suspect that she didn't expect to run into someone like me. A nice lady, and our discussion remained civil. But showing bloody pictures of abortion doesn't, in my mind, actually change minds.

Wednesday, I watched, in a rather fascinated way, as two students approached the make-out line as I lectured on Marbury v. Madison. After class, and before my other, I discovered that a colleague of mine scored an interview for a competing job. Not my best day.

Thursday, I recuperated, graded and learned how to play "Firecracker" on guitar.

Friday, I found out that the same colleague actually won the job. I found that I hated same colleague, not really fairly, but because their advisor actually helps them find employment. I wish I could say the same.

Saturday, I went to the grocery store in preparation for making lasagna rolls (which are kick-ass, btw) and saw some funny things. First was the woman with the (I am guessing) teen-age son who rode ON the shopping cart facing Mum. During one turn, she looked at me and rolled her eyes. I grinned and moved on. Second, I stood behind a doofus in line. A doofus, who I found out later, drove the truck (huge) that executed a seriously illegal turn entering the supermarket. Anyway, doofus pulled his cart to the people side, emptied its contents, and then left the cart there. I wondered if he was so dumb that he didn't think how I might move past. I concluded that he was that dumb. (His entrance to the big-ass truck confirmed my diagnosis--even though I am not that kind of doctor). I moved his cart and informed him that he the cart went on the other side. I wondered if I could execute a citizen's arrest for stupidity. Decided against it and went home to cook said lasagna rolls.

Hmm. Lasagna rolls. ....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tough week, bro. Not much better here up north. Won't go into details, though I will agree with you on one thing...lasagna rolls KICK ASS!!! I love cooking those! I've got the noodles in the cabinet, maybe next weekend will be the happy cooking day!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that sounds like a tough week, but it had a few highlights -Firecracker and Lasagne rolls among them.

The confrontation with the pro-life demonstrator reminds me of that scene from Harold and Maude where Maude is demonstrating with her picket sign and Harold berates her for being a communist and she ends up falling off a ledge. It was all a set-up for the benefit of Harold's uncle, of course.

What did you do about the students? At least if it was your film class, you could remind them that this ain't the drive-in. If only judicial review could be so compelling.