April 3, 2006

Tom Delay out?

Scanning the channels and we stumbled across Fox News. They are reporting that Tom Delay will resign his congressional seat. SOF just found confirmation on Time's website.

Any bets how much he will say that he was forced out by some fake war on Christianity?

More. Kevin Drum has this:

That's it? We're supposed to believe that DeLay is dropping out because a mudfest just isn't his style?

Right. How long before the other shoe drops?


And more. I win my bet:
"DeLay, a Baptist born in the border city of Laredo, said he 'spent a lot of time' praying about his decision and that his personal relationship with Jesus drives his day-to-day actions. 'My faith is who I am,' he said. When DeLay was booked on the Texas charges, he wore his Congressional I.D. pin and flashed a broad smile designed to thwart Democrats who had hoped to make wide use of an image of a glowering DeLay. 'I said a little prayer before I actually did the fingerprint thing, and the picture,' he said. 'My prayer was basically: 'Let people see Christ through me. And let me smile.' Now, when they took the shot, from my side, I thought it was fakiest smile I'd ever given. But through the camera, it was glowing. I mean, it had the right impact. Poor old left couldn't use it at all.'"


Wow. Delusion. Seriously, does anyone really look at Delay and think, "Hey, that guy reminds me of Christ!" After all, Jesus was nicknamed the Hammer too, and liked to punish anyone who disagreed with him. Oh, and I love that he thought his Jesus-smile was fake. But Tom, if Jesus was smiling through you, why were you faking? But, I know, I know, his "personal relationship with Jesus drives his day-to-day actions." Please.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite bit from that Time story was this:

"Asked if he had done anything illegal or immoral in public office, DeLay replied curtly, 'No.' Asked if he'd done anything immoral, he said with a laugh, 'We're all sinners.' Asked what he would do differently, he said, 'Nothing.'"

Jesus is clearly only about smiling.

Anonymous said...

This delusional tripe just makes it clearer why I was whooping for joy this morning when I found out he was dropping out. Not sure what it will mean for that district as far as who will replace him, but I don't care. It won't be him. Texas, and all of Congress, are better off for it.
Now if only I could do something to help get Kinky Friedman elected governor.... :)

Dr. Mike Kear said...

DeLay blamed "liberal Democrats" for his downfall. When I blogged on this over at the Emmaus Theory this morning I said, "I'm kind of cheesed at DeLay's tactic of blaming the Democrats for his sins. I was planning on using that same defense as an excuse for my next big sin! In fact, I was hoping that liberal Democrats might break into my house, tie me up and force me to take bribes and launder money. But now if I try to use that line everyone will say, 'You're just copying Tom!' Maybe I could use the excuse that evil villains are attacking my Christianity and... Oh, wait... Tom's already used that one, too. Thanks a lot, Hammer."

WJB said...

Streak, I completely agree with you - how could his "fakiest" smile demonstrate his connection to Jesus? That statement was flawed on so many levels.

From The Grounds

Streak said...

hah. The Grounds. Perhaps the best green tea in the West and wireless to boot.

Get any Grand Avenue pizza? And for posting this comment, I think you owe me more money.