April 4, 2006

Tom Delay and Evangelical faith

Had a discussion with my Tejas friend today about Delay. My experience last night was rather interesting. Initial glee that Delay was stepping down, and then frustration. Part of that frustration was that he was stepping down on his own. If I am honest, I want him to suffer.

That isn't a good emotion on my part. It does nothing to Delay, but hurts me. I know that.

So why the frustration?

I think it is the people who defend him. But the more I thought about that, the more it bothered me. As Zalm, CIL and I mentioned, the incongruity between what Delay said and what was supposed to be Christlike was just glaring in my mind. How could anyone look at the Hammer and say, "yeah, he reminds me of Jesus?"

But thinking about it, I think this ties right into all the problems I have with the modern church. If sin has been redefined to only focus on sexual sins, then the world looks different.

Here is what I see. To be considered a good Christian in these churches, you need to do some things. You need to attend church, and speak Christian words. Sure, you are supposed to read the Bible too, but you can be considered good by just speaking it.

Then there are things you are supposed to avoid. Any sexual behavior outside marriage. Worse yet if you are gay. Supposed to not use drugs (illicit drugs) and of course, not have an abortion.

If you avoid those things, and do the other stuff, you are a good Christian. Christianity doesn't criticize wealth. Behavior toward other people is really personal and subjective. After all, Jesus didn't really mean to love your enemy, right? He didn't mean to literally turn the other cheek. He didn't mean a literal camel and a literal needle's eye, right?

With that as the definition, then Tom DeLay is a good Christian. Since there is no real accountability associated with that "personal relationship with Christ," then who are we to question it when he says that relationship governs his life? How would we know otherwise? DeLay hasn't had gay sex (that we know of) or had his wife get an abortion. He attends church, and speaks the language. His sins are in areas that really aren't considered sins. Greed, power hunger, arrogance, etc.--not sins any longer.

Ergo, Tom DeLay is a great Christian, right?

And that is tonight's word. (sorry, watching the Colbert Report)

1 comment:

Bootleg Blogger said...

Streak
The only recorded acts of violence committed by Jesus are when he tossed the Delays out of the temple area. You make good points about his endorsement/acceptance by people who call themselves Christians which is just more evidence of how entrenched some of these folks are and have been with the "conservative movement" (Delay's words) for years now. The thing is, everyone is getting played by the Hammer. I will not be surprised if years from now we get to read that in the weeks to come he scores the biggest lobbyist package ever. This is most likely an upward move for Delay. I'm not sure if prison would slow him down much. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see him out of congress, but it's a bittersweet victory. Considering that he acted as he did while under a degree of scrutiny as a congressman, I can't imagine what kind of freedom to move he'll feel now.
Later
BB