November 30, 2006

Snow Day!

And, of course, the dogs wanted to go for a walk! We tried to sway them, and tell them that the temp hovered around 25 degrees and the "snow" was more sleet, but, in the words of Dale Gribble, they were "unswayable."



School is closed. Businesses are closed, and much of Oklahoma has come to a skidding stop. I remember when I first moved south, I mocked people in Texas and Oklahoma for shutting down school with an inch of snow. But then I realized that in Colorado we rarely had ice storms like this. And people drove in it routinely. Tends to make a big difference.

So I reserve my mocking for other things. :)

_________


Speaking of that, I was rather strident yesterday. Chalk it up to a bad day. I should thank Volfan007 for engaging in the last few threads, even though his style of argumentation tends to make me angry. We have had more comments on my blog in the last couple days than the last month. I am not sure how long we can continue this, since arguing with him is akin to bashing your head against a wall. Obviously, I have had and continue to have good conversations with other conservative evangelicals, but Volfie has a particularly frustrating approach--mingling absolutism with selective reading of my and other arguments.

Oh well.

_________

I am going to enjoy the Snow Day. I am making bread and planning on doing some reading and guitar. And a nap.

6 comments:

WJB said...

It looks like Laramie in Oklahoma. However, in the next few days it will probably be warm in Oklahoma, but in Laramie, it will still be terribly cold and snowy. You win. Again.

Streak said...

I win again?

When did I win the first time?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful stuff, my friend. Oddly, we saw 80 degrees out here in VA. I wore short sleeves. Hope you enjoyed that day off.

Anonymous said...

70 degrees here in CT! Dropping to 40s tomorrow though. Can't believe you got snow before us!
Been interesting reading all of the comments. Sorry for not participating, but I'm having an equally frustrating conversation with Gary over on Jesus Politics. Talk about bashing your head! I finally gave up today. It's not worth the stress.

Streak said...

Joe,

Glad to see you back. I followed some of that discussion with Gary and completely understand. Like I said in those comments, he admires Fred Phelps and that should be the end of the conversation. Volfan may annoy me, but he is not meanspirited like Gary. That dude simply hates everyone who doesn't match his own view.

Tony, I trust that weather has changed some?

Anonymous said...

Make sure you check out the discrimination conversation if you haven't already. He tops himself in that one! No guts to back up his own views other than his warped version of "because the bible tells me so". Moronic. I agree, at least Volfan isn't mean, no matter what you think of his views.