February 7, 2006

Oh Ricky, you have some splaining to do!

Ricky Skaggs is quite clearly one of the best mandolin players in the world. He learned at the feet of Bill Monroe, and I really enjoy to hear him play--even as I have never purchased one of his albums. But this?:

"“Long before he was elected, we just had a feeling in our heart that he was the right person. We heard him speak. We heard things about him. We knew he was a Christian man,” Skaggs said. “We knew he was someone that loved God and tried to do the right things, tried to make the right decisions. And I felt like that was who I certainly wanted to get behind and support, especially in light of what we had had eight years before in the White House.

“It was a stark contrast between the two, and I just know as a Christian and as a father looking at the future for my kids and my grandchildren, that’s the kind of man that I wanted in the White House to be able to bring dignity and honor back to the office,” Skaggs said."


See, I would love to know what he sees in Bush. I really would. I understand the dislike for Clinton, I really do. I certainly understand how parents of small children would find explaining Clinton's actions very difficult and frustrating. But where does he see great Christian manhood in Bush? I really want to know. I don't see it when he hides Katrina documents from scrutiny, and I certainly diddn't see it when he initially wanted no part of a 9-11 commission. The worst modern attack on America, and he really doesn't want to know what happened? Now the evesdropping? Oh, and Ricky has something to say about that too:

If Christians would read it [the Bible] and ask God to open their minds to His purposes, he said, they’d not be so fearful when negative reports are splattered across the evening news.

“I think you’ll have a whole lot more peace in your heart and you won’t be so upset with so-called ‘illegal wiretaps,’” he said, adding that he believes the president has absolute authority to do whatever it takes to protect the American public in a time of war."


Really? I am sorry, I just don't see it. And for the record, I support increased surveillance of suspected terrorists even in this country. I don't really know anyone who doesn't. But I just want to be sure that Bush isn't surveilling me because I don't like him. I want to make sure that he isn't evesdropping on political enemies. That is all I want to know. It is called a check and a balance, and no, Ricky, reading the Bible isn't a check or a balance. And finally, given what the Rickster thinks of Clinton, would he want Bill (or Hillary) with the same unfettered power? I doubt it very much.

Ricky--stick to the mandolin. You are a fabulous player. Just play.

6 comments:

P M Prescott said...

How many years have the evangelicals been brainwashing everyone with their praise choruses extolling Christ as King, blah blah blah. Now they are ready to accept "Divine Right" absolutism without thinking.

Anonymous said...

I came here to bitch...

My bad.

Saw a comment you made on another blog. One line... didn't realize it was tongue in cheek.

Whew!

Streak said...

Surrogate, just out of curiousity, what did you see?

Unknown said...

Conservatives get their shorts in a bunch when folks like Bruce Springsteen and the Dixie Chicks share their political views. Where is the outrage when this guy shares is opinions?

Conservatives tend to enjoy fre speech, just as long as they agree with what is being saying.

kgp

Unknown said...

Oops. After reading my comment, I realize I should have proof read. I really can write proper English. Really!

kgp

Streak said...

:)