February 5, 2006

Super Bowl Theology

Not new territory, but this issue of sports theology always kind of bugs me. Ben Rothlisberger's statement once that "only God could have turned him from third stringer to starter" or David Carr's thanking Jesus for a completed pass--they all bug me. It strikes me as bad theology--self-serving and horribly trivial.

Don't get me wrong. I plan to enjoy today's game. I love watching football. But I also know what it is and what it isn't. And I suspect most here are like that. We know that someone who thanks God for the victory, or for making it possible, either needs to add some words around that or restate.

But I have been thinking about this lately. Out running errands during the week, I listened to our local sports talk radio (filled with idiots except a buddy of mine) to avoid listening to Christian radio (completely filled with idiots) or more Bad Company and ZZ Top (what does it say that I will listen to bad preaching to avoid classic rock?). Anyway. On the road listening to the sports people blather on about golf courses in Arkansas. Commercial break. One ad is a plug that my friend reads for some appearance by one of the station's idiots at some restaurant (or something, I really wasn't paying attention). There would be door prizes and people could win some gift certificate for something or another.

The very next ad (or the order was reversed, who knows?) was for a Super Bowl watching party at one of the OKC churches. Fine. Whatever. As my Texas Friend points out, churches have done things like this for years. It is called, almost euphemistically "fellowship." Fine. But the ad on the radio said that before the SB watching party, people could come hear Josh Heupel speak. There would be door prizes. Of course, around here, the man is a hero--having almost single-handedly led the Sooners to the National Championship game in 2001. The ad promised that people could hear Josh tell his testimony and then they could join in on the festivities for the Super Bowl and the eating and the watching.

Several things bothered me about this. First was how damn similar the two pitches were. Almost exact. Selling something, promising celebrity, and the promise of door prized free things to get people inside the door. Christian faith just another consumer item to be packaged, marketed, sold, and consumed.

Second, this element of celebrity. Heupel is a bright guy (by all accounts) and may be very sincere in his faith. Hell if I know. But his only selling point here is that he is a famous athlete, and that is why those people will attend that church to hear him speak. Because he was good at reading blitz packages. Because of that expertise, they will grant him further expertise in spiritual matters. Not because of his academic background, or because of his deep understanding of theology--but for his athletic prowess.

Third, besides all of this consumption based Christianity, I am growing offended by the lightweight nature of it. David Carr thanks Jesus for a touchdown pass. Big Ben thinks that God wanted him to be a starter. Christians everywhere clap. I feel a retch coming on. This morning, against my better instincts, we turned on the beginnings of the 7 or 8 hour pre-game show on ESPN. There really was nothing else on. And most of the stories were mindless and meaningless. One, however, caught both of us. It covered the very first Pop Warner league for disabled kids. Kids with Down's syndrome. One kid has incurable cancer (he's 11). It was hard not to see the obscenity of the David Carr theology watching these kids participate. In fact, I think Mr. Carr should slap himself in the face repeatedly.

When discussing this, my friend suggested that there was no real answer for why some people were born with cystic fibrosis or cerebal palsy and some had Ben's gift to throw a deep out. God's ways, he noted, were higher than ours and there are some things that just defy our knowledge. I can accept that, but it is hard when Christians can make the trivial and meaningless conclusion that God wanted these beautiful and powerful people to enjoy success and luxury. After all, if he chose that for them, doesn't it mean that he chose disability for the others? I don't actually think so, but it seems the logical conclusion of the prosperity message.

Ok. Enough. I am going to go watch the game and enjoy the ability of the players and the complexity of the game. I will appreciate the joy of competition and the chess match of trying to outwit each other. But I will not assume that God gives a shit about who the victor is.

2 comments:

Bootleg Blogger said...

Streak
Good post. I can go along with everything you posted up to the part about Josh. At that point indigenous "folk" beliefs and pratices kick in and I find myself wanting to make a pilgimage, er, trip up to attend the SB party regardless of what building it may be in:-).

Your point is well taken, though, about sports and religious mix. I feel that it's good to have "positive Christian witnesses" for kids to look up to. However, the mixed message about success and blessing are difficult to stomach. I think I'd like to see a sports figure someday who got cut or traded or injured or something like that have an opportunity to talk about how his/her faith transcends athletic performance. If following God is one component in making you a first stringer because following her teachings makes you more responsible, more interested in taking care of your body, etc... then great. That's a message I don't mind my kids hearing. But one day, sooner than the athlete will want, s/he won't be a first stringer anymore. Every athlete is one injury or one more-talented (should I say "more blessed") athlete away from having to find a new career. What will be the message at that point?

As far as marketing of the church, MAN, does that bring back memories. Figure out a hook to get them in the door. The ends justify the means. I don't have any issues with a group having SB parties or whatever through the church. Of course you'd want to get together with your friends. When it becomes part of a gimmicky marketing strategy instead of being based on relationships (invitation of friends) and attraction of the message, then I find my eyes starting to roll and I start wondering what form the bait-and-switch will take THIS time. I'm sure there will be some sort of sign-in so that there can be "follow-up" on any visitors who just showed up because they heard about it on the radio. Are we taking lessons from furniture stores and used-car salesmen?

You never said whether or not you went to check it out! If so, did you get any extra autographs?:-)
Later, BB

Streak said...

Honestly? If I had a chance to have a cup of coffee with Josh, I would jump at it. I am fascinated with football and think that his take on the game would be great. But I am not driving up to north OKC to listen to his testimony.

Good points on the super bowl party and the fact that having good role models is a good thing. Are we better off with Josh Heupel or Terrell Owens? Clearly, TO is a terrible role model.