February 13, 2006

Weaker vessel?

I broke one of my vows today. I ran to the health food store and flipped on the Christian radio. Richard Land was on, and this time he had a Christian therapist to discuss "Christian sexuality." The promos acted as if his discussion would be frank and (parents were warned about the frank nature) new. Yet, the discussion seemed pretty old. I kept waiting for something frank and innovative.

Instead, I heard that women like shoes and men don't. (I thought about my shoe issues and the fact that SOF doesn't like shoes as much as me). He referred to women as the "weaker vessel." What the hell does that mean?

He said specifically that his book was not intended to make men more sensitive or "feminized." Whew. Wouldn't want men to become sensitive. They might turn fruity. I think the shoe thing and my preference for cooking over working on cars, to say nothing of my yoga practice, make me less than masculine for this bozo.

Land's little sidekick said that this guy was one of their most requested speakers. Sigh.

5 comments:

Bootleg Blogger said...

Tsk, Tsk, Streak. You and those vows! Like a moth to the flame:-) BTW, as far as "weaker vessel" goes, can SOF still take you in 2 out of 3? Sorry, mate, couldn't resist- kind of like you and non-Christian radio!!
Later
BB

Streak said...

Alice, you made my day. Oh, and BB, I haven't forgotten you either! :)

I know, the yoga probably pushed me over the edge. But it is helping my back tremendously. My flexibility is improving. And the shoes are very masculine!

The therapist is Kevin Leman. Wrote a book called "Sheet music" or something.

Nicole said...

*Sigh* Put this crazy right up there with the clients I see whose churches teach them that spanking their children with a wooden spoon is somehow a "Biblical" model for parenting. Oh yeah, and thatone church that says one of my colleagues who is divorced isn't fit to counsel because of it. Because women should never leave their husbands without him deciding to do it first.

That's why I study in a program that's just as much theology as psychology, so I can go to bad with both sides.

The downside is I spend a lot of time pissed off at a lot of people.

Nicole said...

go to bat...not bad. Although if I had typed "go to bed" that would have been freakin' hilarious.

Streak said...

:)

Probably would get people talking.