February 11, 2006

Saturday odds and ends

Mainline Protestant has a funny Bush joke. I laughed, anyway.

*****

So, anyway, did you realize that the Olympics are upon us once again? SOF watched some of the opening ceremonies. I passed. Well, kind of. They were so long that I ended up seeing the torch "lighting" and a few other parts. The only cool part I saw were all the women from around the world carrying in the Olympic flag. Many of them social justice activists--I liked that Brian Williams had to detail their particular activism. Hint: none of them struck me as Bush supporters.

The rest of the opening ceremonies struck me as overly long. I am not saying they stretched things out, but acting out the Italian Renaissance in real time? Heh.

Well, for all my complaining, I will end up watching some of the games. I always do.

*******

I guess Michael Brown got tired of the bashing. All I have heard is that he has been pretty strident in his assertions that the White House story about not knowing that the levees were in trouble was pure bull. It strikes me that the White House is in a bit of a pickle--have to say somehow that "you can't believe Brownie, remember, he is the incompetent one." Yet, of course, that was the claim all along that Bush had populated high profile positions with political hacks.

*****

Speaking of the Bushies, the Prez continues to say that he didn't know Abramoff. Watching Keith Olbermann (the only other news guy I like besides the fake ones) last night, it was clear that Bush has a difficult row to hoe here. Abramoff was on his recount team in the 2000 Florida debacle, his transition team, and raised tons of money for the man. Abramoff is saying that they met 12 or so times and that he was actually invited to the Crawford ranch one time.

I guess we still have the continuing question--will people care? Can Bush flip-flop continually and keep the Ricky Skaggs stamp of Godly approval? Probably. I think the only thing that would sink Bush with the RR is proof he had a gay affair with Abramoff.

******

This semester has been extra busy for me, but last week I picked up a new book that I thoroughly enjoyed. If you are looking for something witty and intelligent, yet not too dense, pick up Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation. She is fantastic. Funny and smart, she takes a tour of the assassinations of Lincoln, Garfield and McKinley. Kind of reminds me of Confederates in the Attic at times. Lot of stuff in there I didn't realize--like the fact that Robert Todd Lincoln was essentially present for all three assassinations, or the really interesting and tragic life of Booth's older brother.

2 comments:

P M Prescott said...

Old joke format, but funny anyway.

Bootleg Blogger said...

Streak
I was fairly disgusted during the few minutes that I watched the presentation of the athletes that the commentator, not Costas but the other guy, kept mentioning things about the war on terror and troops, etc.... I can't fathom what that had to do with the Olympics. I haven't watched every minute of every opening ceremony, but this was the most tacky I've seen as far as the commentary went. So much for athletics even appearing to be a break from world politics. As one country came in (Germany?), he actually commented that "as we speak" Spielberg's film about the attacks at the Olympics is playing around the world. It was just tacky, tacky, tacky.