October 31, 2006

An interesting take on the chevy ad

SOF and I felt a little bludgeoned by this ad campaign over the weekend. You could not watch football without hearing it over and over again. We started to think that the ad might backfire just from people getting tired of it. Not sure the ad critics agree with that, but they do have some great points about problems with the campaign.
American Tragedies, to Sell Trucks - New York Times: "“The first time I saw it, I thought, holy mackerel, they are using negative images to generate positive emotions,” said Bob Garfield, the advertising critic of Advertising Age. “I have never seen that in a commercial.”

“I feel a little violated when I watch it,” he said. “I don’t mind when they have a tent sale on President’s Day, but those guys have been dead for 200 years. I’m not sure I’m ready for a Rosa Parks sale-a-bration.”"

No comments: