May 17, 2008

Birthday followup

So we went to the wedding. Turns out they played little snippets of music through the short ceremony, including Bette Midler's "The Rose" and a song by Coldplay. I didn't know anyone used the Rose any longer. But the ceremony was nice and short, and thoughtful.

***

But since we really only knew the parent of one of the participants, we bolted after the ceremony and had dinner at Johnny Carinos. Our waiter came up and knelt at the table (which seems to be all the rage now). He then said, "My name is Blah, and I will be taking care of us." Us? Since when did Blah join our little party and, more importantly, was he going to take some of the stuffed mushrooms or pay for part?

At first we thought it was just a slip, but Blah came back several times to ask how "we were doing," and when he brought the check, he said he would "be our cashier." At one point, he forgot to bring me a beer, and I came very close to saying to him, "we forgot to bring us our beer." But I decided not to.

Anyone else had that experience?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're glad to hear that we enjoyed our birthday. What an odd experience. That's one of my new things - no one trains their employees anymore. Yes, I am getting old, but I am still not as old as you

Streak said...

See, that is the thing. I am pretty sure he was trained to do that.

So you are not as old as me, but like to stand out on your porch and shake your fists at the kids and tell them to turn down that rock and or roll music?

Bootleg Blogger said...

Did you ask him how "we'd" be splitting the check?
Happy birthday, Streak. I forget how young you are sometimes- but that explains why I'm that much wiser:-).

Last time I was in a Johnny Carinos we were seated fairly near the kitchen and it was so loud we couldn't even have a conversation.

Hope your 43rd year's a good one.
Later
BB

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Streak!
May this year bring less sighs and more smiles. :)
And yes, I constantly get waiters coming up saying "And how are we doing?" Well, WE are doing fine...how YOU are doing I can't answer! And you are right, they are likely trained that way. Ah well. As long as the food is good, I usually don't care. :)