May 11, 2008

Young evangelicals leaving the GOP

Not necessarily for the Dems, but they are leaving. This one will go against his family:
"He's a born-again Christian with two family members in the military. He grew up in the Bible Belt, where almost everyone he knew was Republican. But this fall, he's breaking a handful of stereotypes: He plans to vote for Democrat Barack Obama.

'I think a lot of Christians are having trouble getting behind everything the Republicans stand for,' said Dudley, 20, a sophomore at Seattle Pacific University."
Others are choosing independence or unaffiliated. But from my perspective, the fact that they are turning on the false religion of the GOP is the best news. As I have said repeatedly, I don't think the Democratic party is necessarily the answer to the evil that the Republicans have become. Hillary and Bill are showing us all just one reason that is true. But the GOP has been taken over by government-hating, pro-war, pro-torture people. The fact that evangelicals have aligned themselves with the GOP is just disturbing.
"This could turn out to be the election where both parties realize that the evangelical vote is so hopelessly split down the middle that it's not worth courting them at all because what parties need are blocs that can be appealed to en masse," Crouch said. "Paradoxically, evangelicals would become less relevant than ever before."

Braun, the seminary student, said he's not totally committed to any candidate yet.

"I just keep thinking, if Jesus were alive now, he wouldn't necessarily be voting Republican," he said.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus isn't alive now?

Makes you wonder what they're teaching at evangelical seminaries these days.

Streak said...

Heh.

good to see you commenting, zalm. How are things?

Anonymous said...

Pretty busy. I opened my RSS reader for the first time in a while today. It's amazing how much the rest of the world can write in a week!

As for me, I really only have the time/energy for the occasional 140-character outburst on Twitter, but not much more than that.

Well, except for music. I've really been enjoying the newest Frightened Rabbit album, which is on eMusic, if you've got the credits.

Streak said...

I am streaming Frightened Rabbit from their Myspace page right now as I finish grading. Very interesting.

Any others out there? I heard that the Hold Steady has a new album coming out this summer, which makes me happy if it is anywhere as good as the last two.

Anonymous said...

I am liking what I have heard of Frightened Rabbit, too. They remind me of the Long Winters. Good stuff.