May 9, 2008

Sigh. Why Republicans make me sad

Michael Gerson still on the patriotism kick:
The problem here is not that Obama is unpatriotic -- a foolish, unfair, destructive charge -- but that Obama has declared himself superior to an almost universal form of popular patriotism. And this sense of superiority, revealed in case after case, has political consequences, because the Obama narrative reinforces the Democratic narrative. It is now possible to imagine Obama at a cocktail party with Kerry, Al Gore and Michael Dukakis, sharing a laugh about gun-toting, Bible-thumping, flag-pin-wearing, small-town Americans."
As one blogger (I forget where I read this) noted, David Kuo's book showed that, in fact, the Bush White House was filled with people mocking the religious voters behind their back.

And God help me, but I am damn tired of "lapel pin" patriotism. And bumper sticker patriotism. And t-shirt patriotism.

1 comment:

steves said...

I don't mind the papel pins, etc., but I am tired of the notion that a person is unpatriotic because they don't wear them.

It is now possible to imagine Obama at a cocktail party with Kerry, Al Gore and Michael Dukakis, sharing a laugh about gun-toting, Bible-thumping, flag-pin-wearing, small-town Americans.

As a gun totin', small town American (I read the Bible, but have never thumped), I resent the accusation that I can't see past superficial aspects to what a candidate really believes in.