May 13, 2008

Bush gives up golf to honor war sacrifice

I am sorry, but this just doesn't cut it for me:
"For the first time, Bush revealed a personal way in which he has tried to acknowledge the sacrifice of soldiers and their families.

“I don't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the commander in chief playing golf,” he said. “I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal.”"

He goes on to parrot Doug Feith and say that he was simply wrong, not a liar about the war; then decides to bad mouth Jimmy Carter while suggesting (again) that he (Bush) operates out of principle and values.
“That will make you popular,” he said. “Popularity is fleeting. … Principles are forever.”

And then this:
His Christian faith has increased in office, since “part of the faith walk is to understand your weaknesses and is to constantly try to embetter yourself and get closer to the Lord, and that's a daily occurrence.”

“Obviously, there's been some tough moments in here,” he said. “When you know that somebody lost their loved one as a result of a decision that I made, that's a tough moment. If you're a faithful person, you try to empathize with the suffering that that person is going through. On the other hand, there is a knowledge that the good Lord can comfort during these moments of grief. And that's what I ask for in my prayer.”
HIs faith is stronger, even as he authorized torture.

Sigh.

1 comment:

leighton said...

Pretending for a moment that he's sincere (which I don't believe), the language he uses it is consistent with the faith community I left years ago, where the grammar of "relationship with God" was actually an institutionalization of narcissism--it gave everyone an excuse to relate the suffering of others back to my (my, my, MY, MY) inner life, rather than letting them take center stage.

People past middle school and outside certain Christian groups rarely need to hear this, but when someone is killed in combat, the central point is not his personal remorse. It's not about him.