May 8, 2008

Status anxiety

Sullivan links to an interesting study that suggests that the desire for hierarchy is hardwired into our brains:
"The study 'confirms that our brains are exquisitely sensitive to position in the hierarchy,' says epidemiologist Michael Marmot of University College London. 'If the hierarchy is stable, we seem to ignore those below us but focus on those higher up. If unstable, and we are in danger of losing status, areas of the brain linked to emotions are aroused.'"
That last line is key to my own thinking right now. I am increasingly convinced that many people are motivated so much by status that they often seek jobs or promotions that they really don't want or need, and unintentionally put themselves into positions where they aren't happy. All because of the need for status. If you have ever watched someone completely inflate their accomplishments in front of your eyes, you know exactly what I am talking about.

In academia, I see it all the time (or more accurately for me, on the fringes of academia). And it messes with your head. When you get a Ph.D. you think that it will impress people. And it does some. For about 5 minutes. After that, it is really up to whether you have anything else to offer. If not, the Ph.D. doesn't carry very far, trust me. And it is even worse within the academic cult (h/t M) because there everyone is either already a Ph.D. or seeking one. Those who have it don't see it as having status because, well, they already have it. They often look down on you if you aren't tenure track, or not published, or blah blah blah.

But, obviously, status is a problem well outside this little area. I imagine if you look around at the conflicts you observe, many are about status, or perceived status, or perceived attacks on perceived status. I have worked really hard on this--perhaps because of my own grad school experience. I have worked really hard to understand what my degree means and what it doesn't. I am not always successful, mind you, but I try. I hate it when people use their status as a club, and I see that all the time around me. I am proud of what I accomplished, mostly because I know how hard I worked to finish the degree. But I also know how little I know....

No comments: