March 8, 2005

Living With Ghosts

Streak's other friend and I had a "driveway" moment this morning. Well, perhaps more accurately, a parking lot moment at Starbucks. NPR interviewed Arlo Guthrie and his daughter, Sarah Lee and her husband on the occasion of her first album release. It was a charming interview about someone growing up with a famous father and famous grandfather who didn't even know much about her grandfather's music until she was an adult.

The exchange between father and daughter was really nice--the mutual concern came through. Arlo was on a phone in one place, and the other two somewhere else. At the end of the interview, they played just a bit of "This Land is your land," with Arlo playing the guitar and the others singing over the phones. They really sounded great. At the end of that phrase, Arlo said, "I think I heard Woody in there too."

I think I heard him too.

No comments: