March 10, 2005

Hee's bacck!

Just when you think you have survived the last year, Mel Gibson is
is back with the 'The Passion Recut'
. Yay. Wow, I was really bummed that Mel's psychotic vision had passed from the scene and am so GLAD that it is back!

Well, not really. I can't even watch Chicken Run since Mel's last bit. Mad Max really played a lot of a people. I wrote a lot about this last year, and it still stands up here. The implications of Mel's duplicity are here.

Reading over my stuff, I still feel good about it. Mel played us all. He appealed to ethnocentrism, fear of Hollywood, conservative Christian self-righteousness, and even fears of violence in film. He sold you the bill of goods that "liberals" and "jews" didnt' want you to see a Catholic film that, in a different time and place, you would have resisted and protested along the lines of "The Last Temptation of Christ." But played and manipulated, you flocked to this film and scorned those who didn't like it.

For the record, many of you really felt a strong connection to the film. I don't have a problem with that. But don't you dare dismiss those who have legitimate concerns about this film and about the way it has been marketed and promoted to make millions and millions of dollars. It can still be a deep experience, but it is also a crass expression.

4 comments:

Streak said...

Was reading Pat Robertson's site and found this comment that speaks to just how much this movie pisses me off:

CBN.com: "I don't think he should release a less violent version. Did Jesus get to go through less violence just because people are bothered by it? NO!! I believe seeing the Passion of the Christ as it was first filmed brings it to more reality to what Jesus suffered for you and I. No matter how the movie is displayed,there will always be those against it, because their against Jesus Christ! Hollywood has no problem putting out violent movies with bad language and way to much sex, if anything they should tone down their movies! Thank You for taking the time to read this... My Pray is Mel Gibson will continue to stand strong for Jesus."

Yeah, bad spelling aside, it just really bugs me how many people approach this film as if it is a historical document. It is Mel and that wackjob nun's very warped vision of the crucifixion. I have no doubt it was brutal, but they want it to be more brutal than any other death in history. I don't think that is the point of the Cross and that bugs the shit out of me. If it is, the Mel and all of you are focussed more on suffering than grace and redemption.

Wasp Jerky said...

I've blogged a bit about The Passion lately, too. What I'm finding annoying now, via Looking Closer, is Gibson complaining about the Oscars:

"The whole notion of these awards ceremonies is ludicrous....It's really a marketing exercise. I knew exactly what was going to happen. I didn't try to market the film. People are spending 15 or 20 million dollars to market their films. That's a lot of money for a little gold statue."

Better to spend that money on an island, I guess.

Bruce said...

When I saw the tv ad for "The Passion Recut" the first words out of my mouth were "Now, with a new surprise ending!!"

Streak said...

Bruce is funny--new surprise ending, indeed! :)

It is interesting how the right has rallied around Mel as if he is some kind of savior. I would argue there are many people out there making good films that address moral issues, but they don't pander nearly as much as this guy.

And anyone who has seen him in an interview lately can testify to the fact that he seems to have slipped a bit--reminding me more of his crazy Martin Riggs character than thoughtful artist.