March 23, 2005

The West Wing

Sometimes TV gets it right. Tonight's was great. Alan Alda plays the Republican nominee, though in TV land the Republican nominee is smart, moderate and reasoned. Shock, huh?

Well, this particular Republican candidate is someone who has tried to engage his faith, but he has serious doubts--doubts that his wife's death didn't help. But he is a good man. He is honorable and kind and decent. But he doesn't go to church. I can relate to that.

Well, one of his primary opponents was a Reverend who bashed Alda's charcter over abortion and invited him to his church where, as he told the press, he would pray to change the Senator's mind on abortion.

The Senator is, as I noted, pretty iffy about church (another thing I related to) and doesn't want to go. But his political advisors tell him that is a sure fire win. Just go, make a showing and you shore up all the Conservative Christians who support the Reverend.

Finally, after agonizing over this decision, the Senator finally responds to the question:

"I respect his church too much to use it for my own political purposes. And the truth is, it would only be an act of political phonies.
I want to warn everyone in the press, and all the voters out there. If you demand expressions of religious faith from politicians, you are just begging to be lied to. They won't all lie to you, but a lot of them will. And it will be the easiest lie they ever had to tell to get your votes."

I understand this is television. But it is nice to see someone else suggest that the religious right is selling out their votes for very little gain. By supporting Bush so blindly, they have invited deceit and further selling out. They have invited every dumb ass politician to get on television and quote from the bible and talk about his "deep and personal relationship with Jesus" while politically persuing profits and destruction.

People of faith, you are serious about it. Don't sell it. Don't sell your heartfelt belief for a pretense of power. Don't do it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good one streak, but you are spoiling it for us on west coast tv time schedules. I really don't watch the show although I hear it in the background when my wife watches it.

Carlos

Anonymous said...

And what? No public outrage or accusations of slander and bias from the religious right this morning? How shocking!
Seriously, I did not see the show last night, but that speech is dead-on. And to have been delivered by Hawkeye Pierce himself! Sorry I missed it. I'd be curious to hear any reactions from the fundy leadership, but I guess I'd better not hold my breath.

Streak said...

JoeG, you have no idea. Not only was the punchline delivered by Hawkeye, but the liberal President Bartlett endorsed prayer as a way to get through the average day of being president. It was nice.

Anonymous said...

This was one of the best-written episodes since Aaron Sorkin left. I especially liked Vinick's admonition to the reporters--he'd be happy to answer any questions about politics, "but if you have questions about religion, go to church."

Streak said...

Thanks for the comment, Bill. I agree. In fact, I think all of the campaign episodes this year have been brilliant and educational. Those on the road with Santos and Vinnick have been absolutely captivating.