March 15, 2005

Seriously, what the hell does this mean?

While we are on the subject of the Jerusalem Prayer Team, I went to the offical site and foud this.

Jerusalem Prayer Team: "The goal of The Jerusalem Prayer Team is to enlist 1 million people in America to pray daily and 100,000 houses of worship praying weekly for the peace of Jerusalem."


Two questions: 1) what does this have to do with gay people? Are gay people bombing Jerusalem or undermining peace in the Middle East? No. No. No. 2) what does this say about prayer? Is it really just a giant petition that you have to get enough people to sign? Is that the only way God acts? Does that explain why so many people struggle in poverty....that they don't have enough contacts to convince God that they should be helped? What kind of theology is that?

And finally (and I won't count it in the 'two questions" part) how does this view of prayer and God work with Jesus and leaving the 99 Sheep to go find the one lost? Does that mean that there were a million sheep out there praying for the lost sheep? No. No. No. This theology bites. If God only listens to these huge petitions, prayer means nothing more than a popularity or marketing thing. I grew up raising sheep. That one sheep always meant a lot to me. I am not following this "herd mentality" theology.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, just thought I would let you that I like the new look. It's alot easier on the eyes when I'm reading. Plus, it looks more OU-ish. Which I guess is good.

Unknown said...

The other alarming theology from these folks is the assumption that homosexuality will be the sole desecration of the Holy City; as if wealthy, bigoted, greedy, homophobes won't do a good job of that themselves.

Also, what does the "peace" they're praying for look like? Having encountered too much end time nonsense from these folks, I'm thinking that they're praying for armaggedom, which, according to Revelation, doesn't look terribly peaceful.

Kevin

Streak said...

Thanks, Adam. Never thought of the OU look. I was just tired of the old.

Kevin, good points. Praying for peace when they want the end of the world does seem a bit odd.