May 29, 2005

First Guest Blog here at Streak's--SOF

Streak's other Friend (SOF) is my guest blogger this Memorial Day weekend.

Streak and I’ve talked about this “love your enemy" topic quite a bit of late, so I thought I’d type up my thoughts especially as it relates to Tom DeLay.

A dear friend of mine shared a thought provoking statement regarding people whose lives take a destructive turn. She said that no child grows up choosing to be a murderer, abuser, or to destroy people. But through a series of small decisions, somehow they end up out on a limb. At some level I think Tom DeLay believes he's doing the right “Christian” thing, but at another level it seems his actions betray his real motives.

Mr. DeLay would see me as his enemy because my political philosophy and view of the practical application of our shared faith differ from his. From my view, his actions destroy (reputation, livelihood, etc.) any who stand in his way. His actions seem more like Peter’s zealousness in the Garden of Gethsemane when he chops off some guy’s ear. Jesus admonishes Peter very strongly, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the father has given me?”

My confession is that I see Mr. DeLay as my enemy for exactly the same reason as he me. So what IS the right Christian response? Streak’s blogged before about Jesus’ call for his followers to love their enemies and to pray for those who persecute them (Matthew 5:44). This is a HARD teaching and one that is very hard to stomach. I’d much prefer that my enemy be punished and “fall from grace”. I prefer they be judged harshly by the same measure that they judge others. I’d prefer they experience the same as they’ve dished out.

However, I know in the better part of my being that this is exactly why Jesus taught his followers to love and pray for their enemies. Praying for them keeps the vindictive and bitterness from holing up in my insides and from infecting the good that does exist within me.

Streak, Anglican, and I went to see Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith this weekend. The more I think about the movie, the more I think the Anakin / Darth Vader saga illustrates this.

Anakin wanted to do the right thing, i.e. live the Jedi way, but the fear of loosing what he held most dearly would drive him to a series of tragic decisions as Yoda’s sage wisdom foretold. Unresolved disappointments and unmet expectations left him exposed. Soon what seemed right appeared wrong, and what appeared wrong seemed right. The very definition of ambiguity, conflict and confusion.

Yet, Padmé tells Obi-Wan, "there is still good in him" speaking of Anakin. Hard to believe when you observe actions that set a horrible wake of destruction in motion. To continue to hope and believe that each person "still has some good in them" is a tall task. Yet, to me this is part of “love and pray for your enemies”.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Cor 13:5-7)


In my darkest moments when I’m seething and even grieving over the destructive nature of Tom DeLay’s actions on this country and in the Church, today I commit to saying a little prayer for him because I still hold out hope that “there is still good in him”… somewhere.

SOF

1 comment:

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

Very insightful, SOF. Well done!