May 27, 2005

Love thy enemy--but man they make it hard

I have been thinking a lot about the divide we find ourselves in. As one story I read recently noted, the word "hate" is not too strong of a word to describe for both sides.

During the election, I wrote a lot about the divide between Bush's actions and what I think his faith teaches. We are supposed to love our enemies, and I have seen no evidence that Bush has ever even tried to do that. Say nothing about Bin Laden, just try loving your political adversary.

and I think about that for myself. Today, I read this story where the Pentagon confirms that interrogators did abuse the Koran. Not perhaps to the extent suggested in the Newsweek piece, but abuse. The White House and Right Wing Echo Chamber's attacks now stand as self-righteous and hypocritical.

and I feel hatred.

Yesterday, I heard a story about Tom Delay's legal difficulties in Texas. The NPR story discussed how the judge had ruled against his PAC and now the possibilities for criminal trials and even a possible indictment of the Hammer himself. As I drove to my mando lesson, I chuckled and said aloud, "I would love to see that asshole in prison." Then I stopped.

Is that really a good thing to wish on another human being? Even one as horrible and unlikable as Delay? I understand where my hatred comes from. I am stunned and horrified that people of faith--people who believe (at least some of) the tenets of Christ would champion someone who makes George Bush look like a Choir Boy. A person who revels in punishing his enemies. A man who is so ruthless that he inspires fear in others. A person who is so arrogant and filled with his own sense of power, that he once compared his political troubles with those of Christ.

I try not to hate. I know it is bad for me. I also know that if we really believe the teachings of Christ, we should not hate our enemies. But I have no idea how to love someone like Delay. Or Bush. I have been around Christians who could use the language, but underneath, you hear that they are mouthing something that isn't quite real.

I want to be honest. I don't want to hate. But I don't love Delay. I will work on it. Just as I will work to forgive the Christian conservatives who, in my opinion, have not only hijacked my faith, but dirtied and sullied it in partisanship and bigotry. People who tell me that Bush and Delay are in anyway representative of the faith have lost any credibility about the faith itself. Yet, I need to forgive that. I don't know how.

I asked once on this blog about forgiveness and what it meant. Greg, I think, responded very well with this little example. If you trust someone with your money and they let you down, you can forgive them and not hold it against them, but you will not let them manage your money in the future. I am still in the process of not holding it against the people of faith for the Bush RepubliChristians, but I will be cautious to open myself to them on issues of the faith.

One step at a time, eh?

10 comments:

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

"But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice." --Yoda

How apropos this topic is, given that in one hour exactly you, SOF, and I will see Episode III together. A good conversation afterward, it should be.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but at this rate Streak should be able to keep us all from dying when a true Sith Lord he becomes.

Unknown said...

Biblically, love is not an emotion, it's an attitude and an action. But I have no idea what this looks like vis a vis, your difficulty with Delay. You're right, he's not at all likeable.

kgp

Anonymous said...

Myself, I am not willing to love DeLay "in the biblical sense" but maybe you are talking about something different.

Streak said...

Kevin,

That is a great damn point. Love is not an emotion, but an action and a choice. Still, the best I can do is question my intense dislike for this man, or the loathing I feel when Bush talks about his "faith."

Darth, you are damn ass hell funny. And Anglican, thanks for going to the movie with us.

May the force be with us all.

Anonymous said...

I struggle with this too, Streak. Thanks for your honesty.

I'd go even further than Kevin to say that there's a Biblical call not only to do love as an action and a choice, but to be love as "God is love."

What that looks like is a much broader discussion. But I like the idea of love as something we can be.

Anonymous said...

Then again, I so want there so be some space in there for a little old-fashioned schadenfreude when DeLay's tactics catch up to him.

*sigh*

Streak said...

there is a sense of that, isn't there, Zalm. As a professor of mine was fond of quoting (even as he had little spiritual sense of his own) "those who sow the wind shall weap the whirlwind."

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the very thoughtful and heartfelt post and comments. I stuggle with this, as well. I believe that much (if not all) of the actions and behaviors that individuals do that hurt others are born out of fear and out of our woundedness as individuals. At an individual level, this can lead to personal tragedy. When an especially wounded person is in a position of power, the effects can be far-reaching. If an entire community of people are wounded in a similar way, a community's actions can insitutionalize harm for whole other communities.

As a species, so much of history at all levels documents and recounts the actions and consequences of this woundedness, individually and collectively. I believe that this woundedness accounts for much of the dark side of the human experience. Recognizing this has been a major step for me. I also believe that it is my task in this world to bring as much light as possible to the darkside of my own being, and in the process, bring light to others.

I believe that God is all light and love and that we are called to love as He does. If we are to love like God, I think that we can only do this by recognizing and healing our own wounds with the continuous help of the Holy Spirit and through prayer.

"All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." "Love your neighbor as yourself." I find verses like these help turn my mind and heart toward love (agape) for people in general and move me in the right direction to love people like Mr. Delay and Mr. Bush, which I find to be very hard. I also remind myself that they are children of God as much as I am. And, I pray for God to make His will known to all of us, and ask God for His will to be done. I need to do this more often than I do and your post has reminded me that I need to do this again.

I agree with Kevin. Love is an attitude that begets actions and I believe we all have the potential to choose love again and again, with God's help. God, help me to choose love. God help us all. GirlGrace

Small Glimpses said...

girlgrace...well said. It is so hard to remember that they too are children of God....difficult indeed. "God, help me to choose love. God help us all."