May 12, 2005

Jesus & Bruce

Thanks to Carlos (once again!) for this link. I like the take on Springsteen's new album as well as yet another rejection of this persecuted minority crap.

The Nation | Blog | Capital Games | Jesus & Bruce | David Corn: "Many fundamentalist Christians claim victimhood--even though they are free to worship as they like in tax-exempt churches, to send their kids to religious schools, to display the Ten Commandments almost anywhere (such as in their homes, on their front doors, on their cars, on their T-shirts), to vote for politicians who share (if not exploit) their beliefs, and to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a film that graphically depicts the bloody sacrifice of their savior."


Speaking of this, I heard Dobson's radio show the other night (I know, I know). He had Tony Perkins and Gary Bauer on his show and the three of them made quite an echo chamber. He surprised me by playing a clip from Imus where the radio guy criticized Dobson for being so arrogant to George Stephanopolous. But then they just talked about the "liberal" media and how they didn't get it. Never addressed why Dobson was above reproach. Of course, they never discussed Perkins' links to white supremacy groups either. Thinking of Bootleg Blogger's suggestion that the labels are really misleading, I am more than willing to say that if Dobson/Falwell/Mohler/Frist/Delay are what Christianity is, I am going to call my self something else. Not a renunciation of my faith--far from it--a reclamation. But I am not one of those guys.

1 comment:

Streak said...

Steel stomach? Yeah, kind of. It is pretty horrifying.

I suspect we know what Mrs. Patterson will say about women's role in marriage, don't we?

BTW, when did you go to Southern? What was your experience like?