May 24, 2005

Strange bedfellows, indeed

I have been waiting for grownup republicans. My readers know that. I am sure that Bush and Frist would no more listen to me than they would a French national--such is their arrogance. I am just as American as Mr. Bush, yet he cares not in the least that I want to save our environment, not destroy it.

but that said, it is clear that the religious right is unswayable. They have the Lord's own support, after all, and so need not be chastised or questioned by mere mortals. They should have the right to appoint their judges and their Presidents and the rest of us should shut up and convert. Dobson's response to George told the story. "We are God's own and need not take guidance from you." Balls.

It is clear that the only ones who can save our democracy from the theocrats and save our faith from the arrogant bastards are Republicans and conservative Christians. They are the ones with the power. They are the ones who can make themselves heard. They can turn to Bush and say "stop using our faith for political gain. Oh, and btw, maybe you should ACT like a christian!" They can turn to Dobson and say "stop being an arrogant prick. If you are going to profit off our faith, then at least act with some humility."

Well, until that happens, I will take the steps where I can get them. Trent Lott bugs me. It isn't just his hair, it is, of course, his connections with right wing racists (the very same right wing racists that Tony Perkins (Dobson's right hand political hack) has, by the way). But it is clear that even Lott kind of gets just how arrogant this Bush cabal is. He has felt the sting of their disapproval. And now, he is speaking out against Dobson.

USATODAY.com - Activists on right and left agree: No deals: "'James Dobson: Who does he think he is, questioning my conservative credentials?' Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss., said in an interview. Dobson, head of the conservative group Focus on the Family, criticized Lott for his efforts to forge a compromise in the fight over the judges. Lott is still angry. 'Some of his language and conduct is quite un-Christian, and I don't appreciate it,' the senator said."


I really hate to include Lott in the category of grownup repubs. Can anyone send me the John Danforth letter? We need to collect every republican who dares to speak out against the Religious Right's agenda.

No comments: