May 16, 2005

Let's start with Republican inconsistency

Hey, if I am going to blog, might as well go right to my favorite rant, right?

Couple of things that caught my eye today. First was this story about Newsweek getting it wrong, evidently. They said that US interrogators defamed the Koran in Gitmo. This sparked protests that have killed ~20 people, and appear to be incredibly tragic. Newsweek should take this very seriously and do a better job of making sure their stories are right.

But the right wing echo chamber is off the hook on this one. Flipping through the news channels, you see conservative after conservative angry and ranting about the media and their lack of responsibility.

I agree, but wonder where that outrage was when that same media allowed Bush to mislead us into war? To say nothing of the fact that comments by Jerry "I am extremely fat" Falwell led to riots in India that left 5 people dead.

next item

I am really starting to wince when ever I hear about family values Republicans. Reminds me of the jokes about car dealers who call themselves "Honest Jack" when honest is the one thing they aren't. In Spokane, the family values mayor was trolling the internet for young boys. Jeesh. And then we have this Dr. David Hager (Thanks, Bad Catholic) who is well loved by Dobson and Beverley LaHaye's Concerned Women for America for his family values and stance on contraception, but who's ex-wife alleges that he raped her throughout their marriage--including unwanted anal sex.

Repeat item
Well, kind of. I am never surprised when I see a W sticker on a big gas guzzler. I always fill in this in my mind: "I voted for W, because he assures me that I getting everything I want is good for me and I deserve it." I saw a "We support the troops" sticker on a ginormous SUV on the drive back. I always see it this way: "We support the troops, because with our own oil consumption, we will need to invade more and more countries."

Oddball item

Cold In Laramie saw a bumper sticker in California that proclaimed "Jesus would slap the shit out of you."

I have seen them online, but never on a car. I am a little puzzled by the meaning. Seems like it could go either way. Anyone?

Ok, that is enough for this afternoon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Streak, have you read "Don't Think of An Elephant?" I picked it up last night and it helps with understanding how this bs makes sense to people. -- G. Orwell

Anonymous said...

Aah Kevin speaks? This group reads like neo militia's on the far, far, oh so far Left coast. Your sheer hatred speaks for itself. Res Ipsa Loquitur Oh, and the staunch brownshirt refusal to participate in open debate, you know, that good old fashioned word bi partisanship -

Streak said...

ah Kevin speaks? This group reads like neo militia's on the far, far, oh so far Left coast. Your sheer hatred speaks for itself. Res Ipsa Loquitur Oh, and the staunch brownshirt refusal to participate in open debate, you know, that good old fashioned word bi partisanship -

? I don't understand this one.